IL Ever Going To Allow Centerfire Rifle for Deer?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 350 legend case length is 1.71". The 450 bushmaster is 1.70". Which falls well below the 1.8" case length requirement for Michigan. I did not see a case length limit for Illinois.

I do know I have no interest in buying a new rifle & chambering for the few days I hunt IL. I also agree, often the rules are approved by those with limited firearms knowledge. It’s like the crossbow lobby, wanting rule changes so hunters go out & buy $1100 crossbows.

I wouldn’t consider my 444 or 45-70 any more capable than my scoped inline. If for some reason they became legal I’d happily use one.

Straight walls are legal in IL if used in a pistol. No max length
True, I hunt with a variety of pistols during the firearm seasons- .460 is probably my favorite pistol for hunting, but use my CVA muzzleloading pistol during muzzleloader season, which is only 3 days in IL.

I’m not buying any new rifle, my Knight Elite has been most excellent.
Great minds think alike. I have a Knight Elite also. I did use my 44 Ruger for a couple of deer drives but for sitting in the stand, I reach for the Elite. Im in Michigan and a few years ago they did opt for a variety of straight walled cartridges for deer hunting. Id like to know how many guns got sold in the last few years because of the change. Good for the economy.

I know Randy's hunting center up in Bad Axe Probably made enough money to Add a whole new wing to their store Off the money that they made in profit from the addition of the 450 bushmaster and now the 350 legend. Even ruger made a Randy's exclusive In 450 bushmaster. I do know I jumped on the bandwagon. I immediately started hunting with my 1968 finger groove ruger carbine Then I moved on to the 450 bushmaster In AR form And wouldn't trade it for anything during the regular deer firearm season. But I always pull out my Knight For muzzle loading and the late doe season.

I have my knight disc (converted) side locks, bows, I would like to use my 1894 Marlin. Figuring I’m running low on sabot slugs for the kids. Illinois the land where science and logic is contradicted.

Not only was Randy's Selling those 450 rugers like crazy he was also selling AR uppers Like hot cakes. And also the Leopold scopes designed for the 450 cartridge. All I know is he really capitalized when Michigan changed the law.

I see that HB4386 passed both houses. Click link below...

HB4386

It appears to me that the bottleneck restriction is 30 caliber and brass shorter than 1.4 inches. For straight-walled centerfire, 30 min caliber and generate at least 500 ft-lbs energy at the muzzle. Everything is single shot or must be restricted to single shot.

Last edited:
Haven't seen this bill. Heading in the right direction, but single shot?? I don't understand the logic there, if they allow shotguns to carry 3 rounds why can't a straight wall rifle also carry that many? I hunt in IA each year and I will say, there are those there that will party hunt with a 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster with a full magazine and it sounds like a war zone. I could do without that.

Haven't seen this bill. Heading in the right direction, but single shot?? I don't understand the logic there, if they allow shotguns to carry 3 rounds why can't a straight wall rifle also carry that many? I hunt in IA each year and I will say, there are those there that will party hunt with a 350 Legend or 450 Bushmaster with a full magazine and it sounds like a war zone. I could do without that.
Yes it takes my ruger 44/77 bolt out of the running, it has a high capacity 4 shot magazine

Yes it takes my ruger 44/77 bolt out of the running, it has a high capacity 4 shot magazineld

No, I don't think it does. As I understand the law your rifle would be legal if you installed a single shot sled (which blocks the magazine well and keeps cartridges from falling into the well during reloads). Also illegal to have magazines in your possession that would make the rifle more than a single shot (think AR15 in 300 Blackout, 350 Legend, etc...).

Last edited:
To totally understand the logic behind single shot you have to think like a politician . That means you have to be illogical . They want to be in complete & total control . They also want hunters believe they are doing them a huge favor at the same time so you will vote for them . I can partially understand because ethical hunters that can shoot should only need one shot to harvest an animal . I always know when I hear 3 well spaced shots the quarry has eluded the shooter . Usually in deer & turkey hunting one single boom is meat on the table . When you hear 3 or more shots those follow ups are just wasted ammo . I believe in my military related shooting skills . ONE SHOT ONE KILL it works for me & always has . The only outdoor hunting adventure this does not apply to is waterfowl 2 or 3 shots multiple kills . Upland game the same way . That reminds me of a sign 1 of my daughters gave me . Due to the high cost os ammo no warning shots will be fired .

That's true, revolvers.

A Savage Striker pistol (or something similar) in 45 Raptor (similar load data as 460 S&W Mag) would be an awesome deer hammer for that state. You would probably want a brake on it.

I chambered a Savage Axis in 460 S&W several years ago for deer hunting in Ohio. I was surprised at the velocity (over 2700 fps) we got out of the 1-16 twist rifle length barrel.

A couple of years later we converted the barrel to 45 Raptor which has a case head like at 308 Win.
It is easier to deal with when compared to a rimmed cartridge in a bolt action rifle.

460 S&W in Savage Axis, Part 2: Assembled Rifle - YouTube

Last edited:
In know that in MN, a lot of bills get introduced… then go nowhere. Your coworker might want to wait on that new deer gun until the law changes! 😆

A coworker and I got inline MZs specifically for deer hunting, a few years back. Then he called in a panic, because a bill had been introduced to ban inlines for our special MZ season.

I suggested that a similar bill was introduced every year (it was, for a long time). It seemed like there would also be a bill to allow magnified scopes during MZ season, every year. They tended to cancel each other out, annually!

Now, seventeen years later, you can still use inlines, AND you can use scopes…

I haven’t heard any rumblings about allowing “straight walled” centerfires in our “shotgun zone…” -BUT- You can use a “pistol” or an MZ.

MZs were grudgingly accepted by most shotgun hunters, but the bottleneck cartridges in Contenders, Encores, etc. certainly ruffled some feathers. Then the AR “pistols” arrived in .308 Win. They ruffled more feathers, yet!

I can’t use my iron-sighted M94 .30-30 Win. “Trapper” because it’s a “high-power” rifle. My neighbor can use a scoped Encore “pistol” in .270 Win. w/a bipod though… it’s “just a pistol…“ 😂

”It’s government. It doesn’t have to make sense!“ 😡

Interesting note- most of us in the MN shotgun zone were always led to believe that prohibiting rifles on the prairie was a “safety” issue. There’s some evidence that it was originally used as a management tool, to limit harvest by limiting the effective distance of the firearms involved. Foster slugs out of smoothbore IC barrels with only a vent rib are certainly able to limit effective range. Rifled barrels w/sabots changed that, somewhat! 😎
The AR pistols being used ruffled the feathers of the MN DNR CO's more than most others. The DNR is backing the current bills that have been submitted already for shotgun zone elimination, to streamline the regs., and because the inlines, plus centerfire pistols are already meeting the same threshold that centerfire rifles are at. These bills are stalled in committee, and in the Senate the committee chair is from Northern Minnesota where, IMHO, most of the hunters who reside in shotguns zones hunt. Take away the shotgun zone restriction, a lot of hunters who travel north will hunt down south, and west, near home with rifles, and not spend their hunting dollars up north. It's all about the money, MN folks. MN hunters in the shotgun zone need to speak up to the legislators to get this done. Apathy is the worst enemy regarding legislation that impacts the hunting community.

Back