I'm so sorry...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doegirl

Reaction score
I have to apologize to my sidelock. I've been using bore butter in it as a rust inhibitor/protectant. Out of curiosity, I ran a patch down the bore. It's been about 3 weeks since I've last shot it. I was not pleased with what I saw. A ring of solid rust on my patch :evil: :evil: It took me 'bout 2 hours to scrub all that crap out of both my muzzleloaders. I *thought* I was not allowing the b.b. to build up, but it was anyways. I'm going to let the white mountain carbine barrel soak in CLP breakfree overnight. I just hope the breech plug area isn't too badly damaged. :( Dammit.

I've been using bore butter in it as a rust inhibitor/protectant.

It just plain doesn't work for that. Crisco will work just as well, maybe BETTER! 8)

You ARE going in the right direction using Breakfree CLP. I use a lot of that and it HAS proven to work very well.

Bore Butter is a pretty good bullet/patch lube and that's about it. At THIS stage of the game, I can't believe T/C would STILL advertise it for anything ELSE! :evil:

doegirl, does the bore feel rough as you run the patch down, or are the patches just coming out brown? back when i was trying to use bore butter as the only rust inhibitor on by blackpowder guns, i would always run patches down the bore periodically after i cleaned it. the patches would come out brown for a little while, but there wasnt any corrosion in the bore.

on the OTHER hand, i ruined the bore of my first muzzleloader because i cleaned the barrel using only hot water and then lubed it with bore butter. didnt check on it again for some time, and when i did, the bore was clearly rust-colored and was rough when you ran a patch down. this was using pyrodex . . . i have not had a similar experience using ordinary blackpowder.

i wouldnt worry about the breechplug, either. you probably wont ever have to take it out . . . :D

I feel your pain doegirl. I am not an advocate of bore butter. There are many that are. They tell you how you have to scrub all the old out, then pour boiling water down the barrel and then over smear the stuff, etc... I used it for many years and had the same results as you.

Take a small piece of tin foil. Wad that into a little ball and drop that down the bore after you clean the rifle. Then with a flash light you can look down the bore and the light will reflect back. It allows you to see in the bore. Or you can use a brass casing from a .357 mag. Shine it, then tape the end up with scotch tape and drop that down. Again, it will reflect light.

Get some J-B Bore paste after your CLP bath. And scrub that bore down real good. It will take any of the problems out of the bore for you.
After it is all back to clean and nice, then run a nice coat of gun oil down there.

As I joke, bore butter is good for patched ball, and conical lube, and does real good in the trash can too...

n8dawg6 said:
doegirl, does the bore feel rough as you run the patch down, or are the patches just coming out brown? back when i was trying to use bore butter as the only rust inhibitor on by blackpowder guns, i would always run patches down the bore periodically after i cleaned it. the patches would come out brown for a little while, but there wasnt any corrosion in the bore.

on the OTHER hand, i ruined the bore of my first muzzleloader because i cleaned the barrel using only hot water and then lubed it with bore butter. didnt check on it again for some time, and when i did, the bore was clearly rust-colored and was rough when you ran a patch down. this was using pyrodex . . . i have not had a similar experience using ordinary blackpowder.

i wouldnt worry about the breechplug, either. you probably wont ever have to take it out . . . :D

I'm using the green (pine-scented) stuff. I'm sure that brown crud was part of my rifle's steel :(

minor surface rust is not the death of a rifle barrel. What happened I will guess is..

You cleaned your rifle spotless. And ran dry patches down the barrel until you were sure that the barrel was dry. Then you smeared bore butter all over inside that barrel. The problem is, the bore was still containing moisture in the pores of the barrel in spots. The bore butter smeared all over that moisture and trapped it against the steel. What your seeing now is, you patch the barrel and wipe the bore butter off, and there is the rust colored what ever, coming out on the patch.

This is not a serious rust. It is rust though. So you need to take the barrel off. Then take that barrel outside somewhere and pour boiling water down it, over filling the barrel with the boiling water. The water will melt the bore butter and it will float to the top like most crud does, and you can then dump it out. Wear some leather gloves. That barrel will be real hot.

Then pour some good solvent down the barrel and let it come out the nipple. Now start working solvent patches down the barrel and all that brown and stuff will come right out. After the solvent patches I like to run a isopropyl alcohol patch down the bore. Alcohol drives the moisture out of the bore. Then dry patch it. Once you have it dry then use a good gun oil and you should be fine.

The CLP bath is done. I just poured some boiling hot water down the bore. Ran a couple patches down the bore and out came brown gooey stuff. Burnt butter? It seems that a good deal of it accumulated in the breech plug area. Perhaps this rifled was "seasoned" by the previous owner as well. From what I can tell bore looks unscathed. Reoiled the bore and hopefully I get out to the range soon to see how the gun performs now. If it misbehaves, I'll have to try to find some JB bore paste.

I'm glad to hear that... "no harm no fowl," so they say.

Latest posts

Back