IMR 4198?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTom

Reaction score
How cold is too cold to shoot this powder? I don't do well with temps much below 20 degrees due to lung disease, so I won't be out there pulling the trigger on anything loaded with it however when temps roll up into the mid 30"s I'd like to give it a go. I'm planning on charges of 56-58 grains under a 200 grain .40 cal XTP in a blue sabot. Winchester 209 shotshell primer. Will this work or still too cool?

No can find those Feds around here. I checked all the usual spots the other day when I was powder shopping, and nobody carries any shotshell 209s. I can find the gasless muzzleloader primers all over but not the regular shotshell 209s. When I saw the Winchesters a while back, I bought the whole pile they had on the shelf.

A few years back we had single digit to sub zero temps for about 2 weeks here in Maryland. I purposely left my smokeless Encore ML outside in my truck over night. My load was 60 gr of H4198 under a wool wad pushing a 290 TEZ. When I pulled the trigger, everything ignited just like it did in 60 degree weather. The shot sounded and felt great. I was using Fed 209A primers.

Last edited:
Mr. Tom, Are you shooting that .40 cal. bullet from a .45 cal. or a .50 cal. rifle? The reason I ask, I'm thinking about how tight the bullet to barrel is. You may have a problem in real cold weather if the bullet/sabot is not tight enough to seal the charge. You can always knurl your bullet or add a vegie wad under the sabot to help seal and create more pressure to help ignition. One way to know for sure is to shoot you gun on the coldest day and see what happens.

Right now, I'll be shooting the .40 XTP in a blue sabot, or blue crush rib sabot as Mark suggested in a reply to me. The gun is a .45 cal. I may decide to sneak into the sabot-less world, but not right away. The former owner shot the gun smokeless, and I am anxious to try it that way too, but I think for the immediate future I'll be using Blackhorn simply because I know it works with the components I have, and I want to at least get the gun shooting reasonably tight before going smokeless. The scope has been replaced so I need to get it bore sighted then range sighted. I'll have some vials of smokeless along to try after I get the gun printing on paper good just to know how things are going to work. I have the IMR 4198 on hand but am looking to try another powder.... any suggestions other than the H4198 which is mythical around here along with the N120. I can get N110 I think. I also plan to try the 225 grain .40 stay tipped Furys and will likely use that bullet to hunt deer if they fly well.

I'll be perfectly clear; I have no intentions of shooting long range or hunting at long range with the majority of my deer hunting shots being well under 50 yards. I've read a bunch on smokeless shooting here at MM and find the smokeless shooting intriguing. The Patriot makes it reality now. As per my usual, I'll plan to take a deer this next fall with the Patriot since it's the "new" gun in my stable, I've done this with every "new to me" gun I have owned, more than likely though the gun will be used to poke holes in paper, however I may give the coyote population a wake-up call if I can get it dialed in to shoot fairly tight.

Right now, I'll be shooting the .40 XTP in a blue sabot, or blue crush rib sabot as Mark suggested in a reply to me. The gun is a .45 cal. I may decide to sneak into the sabot-less world, but not right away. The former owner shot the gun smokeless, and I am anxious to try it that way too, but I think for the immediate future I'll be using Blackhorn simply because I know it works with the components I have, and I want to at least get the gun shooting reasonably tight before going smokeless. The scope has been replaced so I need to get it bore sighted then range sighted. I'll have some vials of smokeless along to try after I get the gun printing on paper good just to know how things are going to work. I have the IMR 4198 on hand but am looking to try another powder.... any suggestions other than the H4198 which is mythical around here along with the N120. I can get N110 I think. I also plan to try the 225 grain .40 stay tipped Furys and will likely use that bullet to hunt deer if they fly well.

I'll be perfectly clear; I have no intentions of shooting long range or hunting at long range with the majority of my deer hunting shots being well under 50 yards. I've read a bunch on smokeless shooting here at MM and find the smokeless shooting intriguing. The Patriot makes it reality now. As per my usual, I'll plan to take a deer this next fall with the Patriot since it's the "new" gun in my stable, I've done this with every "new to me" gun I have owned, more than likely though the gun will be used to poke holes in paper, however I may give the coyote population a wake-up call if I can get it dialed in to shoot fairly tight.
When I used to shoot sabots I shot up to 66 gr. of VV N-120 with either the Barnes 195 gr or the Hornady 200 gr SST without blowing a sabot. If I went to 67 gr. I had trouble with sabot failure. The 66 gr. load would give me 2950 fps. I only used the Harvester light blue sabots, never the crush rib. I also shot Reloader #7 powder with 73 gr. charge with the same two bullets. I set my uncle's gun up with the Reloader #7 powder using 72 gr. and the Pittman 225 Accumax bullet and the Harvester light blue sabot, it chronographs @ 2675 fps. and is deadly accurate.

Imr 4198 will ignite just as well as h4198..I live in a cold climate and used plenty of both in centerfire rifles and muzzleloaders. It’s called marketing hodgdon didn’t own the imr brand when they first made the claim of better ignition.

Thanks guys, that helps me out a lot.

I found an absolute gold mine of a shop today with 5744 and came home with a jug to work up some lighter loads using it. I also asked about 209 primers and picked up 5 trays of Cheddite 209's @ $6.50/tray. A 1000 count brick was $62.00. A full 5000 count sleeve was priced at $300.00. I damn near bought a sleeve. They had maybe thirty sleeves of the 209 Cheddites. The store was full of the 5744. $45.00/lb. They also had lots of N120. Benchmark and 10X was plentiful. I had to drive 40 miles but it was a beautiful day for a trek and Ma and I stopped in one of my very favorite rural, old, watering holes and had a couple brews and their Friday fish fry.

I had to get out of the place as I wanted to keep buying. lol I'll be heading back next month for the N120 and maybe more primers. I'm thinking I'll by a 1000 count block next time.

Last edited:
Mr. Tom,
If you decide you want to try some Fed 209a’s or CCI 209m’s, on one of your trips up north you can make a little detour out to the farm and I can set you up with some. I also have a few pounds of H4198 if you want to trade for one to try. Bring the gun out to the farm with you and we can size some bullets for you to try sabotless if that interests you.

Hey, I like that idea Super. I was trying to find time during one of those trips last summer but there was always something in the way. I'd be taking the gun north anyway as I turn the yard into my own personal range when I'm up there. I can get about 150 yards when I set things up to shoot down the lane before it takes a turn.

I've weighed out some charges of the IMR4198, 56 and 58 grains, and also some 5744 at 40 grains, to use with the 200 grain XTPs. I need to sight it in since I had the scope and rings off and hopefully, I'll be able to hit the club early this week with warmer temps coming. I plan to get the gun dialed using BH, then try the smokeless charges just to get a feel for things.

Back