IMR 4198?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never shot 5744 so can’t help much with that but I can tell you both 56 and 58 gr. of 4198 produces decent speed and has always ignited reliably for me in all temps I’ve shot it in. I keep hoping one of these days I’ll get a chance to leave the gun loaded in the truck overnight when it’s below below 0 and chrono it. I’ll have to try to get that done this winter.

Winter chores keep me pretty busy but once but once we start to thaw out a little bit let me know when you might be coming through.

And here I was hoping that the sub zero crapola we had a couple weeks back was all we were going to get. lol I keep telling Ma that when I win one of the billion-dollar lotteries I'm buying a couple thousand acres of woods, building my dream home in the middle of it along with about a 100 acre lake right out the back door and no trespassing signs on steel posts every 25 feet around the perimeter. AND I'll pay to have my winter chores done. I'll pay to have your chores done too Kirby so we can watch hunting shows and talk smart all winter.

I tried to like that more than once but guess you can’t do that. You don’t even have to pay for all my winter chores. Don’t want anyone thinking I’m lazy. But I’d take a tractor newer than 1955 with reliable hydraulics and about 10 cords of wood every winter. That would be just dandy.
Good luck with the lottery tomorrow night and thank you for your contribution.

Right now, I'll be shooting the .40 XTP in a blue sabot, or blue crush rib sabot as Mark suggested in a reply to me. The gun is a .45 cal. I may decide to sneak into the sabot-less world, but not right away. The former owner shot the gun smokeless, and I am anxious to try it that way too, but I think for the immediate future I'll be using Blackhorn simply because I know it works with the components I have, and I want to at least get the gun shooting reasonably tight before going smokeless. The scope has been replaced so I need to get it bore sighted then range sighted. I'll have some vials of smokeless along to try after I get the gun printing on paper good just to know how things are going to work. I have the IMR 4198 on hand but am looking to try another powder.... any suggestions other than the H4198 which is mythical around here along with the N120. I can get N110 I think. I also plan to try the 225 grain .40 stay tipped Furys and will likely use that bullet to hunt deer if they fly well.

I'll be perfectly clear; I have no intentions of shooting long range or hunting at long range with the majority of my deer hunting shots being well under 50 yards. I've read a bunch on smokeless shooting here at MM and find the smokeless shooting intriguing. The Patriot makes it reality now. As per my usual, I'll plan to take a deer this next fall with the Patriot since it's the "new" gun in my stable, I've done this with every "new to me" gun I have owned, more than likely though the gun will be used to poke holes in paper, however I may give the coyote population a wake-up call if I can get it dialed in to shoot fairly tight.
If It was me I would get some N110. It's clean, temp insensitive, good velocity and low recoil with the bullet weights range you mentioned. Just make sure it fills the powder chamber if your gun has one.

How cold is too cold to shoot this powder? I don't do well with temps much below 20 degrees due to lung disease, so I won't be out there pulling the trigger on anything loaded with it however when temps roll up into the mid 30"s I'd like to give it a go. I'm planning on charges of 56-58 grains under a 200 grain .40 cal XTP in a blue sabot. Winchester 209 shotshell primer. Will this work or still too cool? would rather shoot 35 - 37 grains of N110 than 56 - 58 grains of 4198.
I would rather shoot 33 - 35 gr. of N110 than 56 - 58 gr. of 4198. Less powder and recoil.

Back