Is the nipple wrench style unique to black powder handguns?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

explosivepowder

Reaction score
I know I can pay to get the nipple wrench at Bass Pro or online, but is it really some other tool and someone made out like it was for handguns, but you know, plumbers have the same thing for like .98? Is it marketing or does harbor freight have a tool just like it but not marketed as a black powder muzzloading nipple wrench? Thanks.

AFAIK, they’re specific to nipples…

The exception is for the Ruger Old Army… that takes a 3/16” nut driver. That system just plain WORKS, and I wish other manufacturers would emulate it!

I’d try to find a “Made in USA” nipple wrench, if you can. A Google search should yield several options.

I tried the Ted Cash ratcheting model, and the “socket” piece fell out. I thought it was a gimmick to start with, but I bought it due to Made in USA, and TDC reputation. I wouldn’t buy that one again, myself…

Various Italian nipple wrenches tend to be brittle, in my experience. Keep in mind, you don’t have to crank the nipples in, excessively hard. I broke several trying to remove seized nipples from a “back from the dead” project gun…

As said, they are nipple-style specific. Buy from someplace with flat rate shipping or free shipping for orders over $N, and get some of those extras that you always end up needing ...

Do this game long enough, you'll acquire an assortment of nipple wrenches - some good, some not. As with any wrench or screwdriver, when working on guns, an ill-fitting tool is asking for problems. So, too, are nipple wrenches made of too-soft metal or those that don't fit the particular nipple in hand. My wrenches used for revolvers are made to fit in the recesses of the cylinders, rifle/shotgun wrenches are not,

Get good stuff right off the bat. If it's really good - buy two.

AFAIK, they’re specific to nipples…

The exception is for the Ruger Old Army… that takes a 3/16” nut driver. That system just plain WORKS, and I wish other manufacturers would emulate it!

I’d try to find a “Made in USA” nipple wrench, if you can. A Google search should yield several options.

I tried the Ted Cash ratcheting model, and the “socket” piece fell out. I thought it was a gimmick to start with, but I bought it due to Made in USA, and TDC reputation. I wouldn’t buy that one again, myself…

Various Italian nipple wrenches tend to be brittle, in my experience. Keep in mind, you don’t have to crank the nipples in, excessively hard. I broke several trying to remove seized nipples from a “back from the dead” project gun…
The cash wrench is designed to be used with all three of the inserts for musket, rifle and pistol nipples. It’s a feature, not a bug.

Well I am Trying Track Of The Wolf I have ordered two one for Pocket Models and another for the Larger .44s and Navy`s, I will let ya know the good, bad and ugly. I have made 3 over the years all from 5mm deep well craftsman sockets, 2/29/24 I can not find a single one of the sockets or the handles I had them on.

I know I can pay to get the nipple wrench at Bass Pro or online, but is it really some other tool and someone made out like it was for handguns, but you know, plumbers have the same thing for like .98? Is it marketing or does harbor freight have a tool just like it but not marketed as a black powder muzzloading nipple wrench? Thanks.
5 Mm socket and a dremel, need smaller sockets for smaller areas and nipples

Latest posts

Back