JCchartgirl rocks the Rockfish...!!!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Hey guys,

The bunker finally thickened up in Jersey city for the spring....So, Mel and I decided to hit the river for the spring dropbacks. Heck did we get got one hell of a surprise....

Mel fulfills yet another dream with me...the 40+lber...from shore... :prayer:

48"...42 lbs.....

(Club 40 down....still dreamin about club 50!!!!....)

131_3125.jpg

131_3111.jpg

IMG_1537.jpg

Awesome simply awesome!!! :partyman: That fish looks like it weighs more than you. :shock: Congratulations to you both.

VENISONEATR said:
Awesome simply awesome!!! :partyman: That fish looks like it weighs more than you. :shock: Congratulations to you both.

Thanks Jim,

After this one, doesn't seem to matter what I weigh. Mel has got me where whe wants me, and she seems to like it,,... :mrgreen:

JC

So what's the story? Live bunker? Chunks? How long of a fight? How much cursing involved. I hope she made you promise to marry her if she landed the damned beast!

I need to come to the big city if the stripers are that big! Awesome!

:shock: :shock: i dont think they grow that big down here ...

nice stripe! 8)

VENISONEATR said:
So what's the story? Live bunker? Chunks? How long of a fight? How much cursing involved. I hope she made you promise to marry her if she landed the damned beast!

Jimmy,

Part of the "team" effort involves me acquiring the fresh bunker via the snag rig throughout the day. In fact, I had just decided to go snag some more freshies shortly before Mel got the fish...

I had actually just left to get more bunker shortly after suggesting that Mel freshen up a particular rod and toss it into a seam, off the corner of the pier, on the incoming tide. Apparently, after I left, she did just that...Mel cut a fresh bunker head, baited it, and cast into the spot.

Meanwhile, I was already on the other part of the pier, (far enough away I could not see or hear her if she hooked up), and interestingly, I received a phone message from Mel??

I thought it was very strange that she would have called?(If she had a fish, I knew there was no way she could have the ability to call, and if she didn?t, she would not likely have called right after I had just left ??(It turns out that phone reception is spotty in that specific location, and Mel had actually called earlier, however, the message never went through until I moved to the other part of the pier... ))

In any case?I decided to go back and to see what was up?

Sure enough I find Mel leaning into a bent rod, reel screaming?.

I immediately eyed the reel to gauge the state of her fight and for the first time in all my years of fishing for stripers, was shocked to see her not only losing ground on the spool with 40lb power pro?but also nearing the end of the line?.

I quickly let her know that she had to put the brakes on that fish or she was in risk of getting spooled?

Mel fought for several minutes to maintain what little line she had left?Fortunately, after a number of runs the fish finally relented and she began to gain ground.

Once the fish finally tired, and was approaching the pier, Mel handed the rod off to me, hopeful not lose the fish while we attempted to work the gaff?.(Gaffing a fish with a pier grappling is always a tricky proposition, big or small.)

Once, we finally gaffed the fish I was amazed when my friend holding the gaff asked for help lifting the fish?.when I finally hauled on the rope with him?I quickly knew why...

JEFF

131_3129.jpg

jims said:
A good informative write-up.

Now, Lets talk biology...

This Bad girl seems to have eaten the entire "Hudson River Tri-fecta", before falling to Mel's fresh bunk...

Shad...Bunker...Herring..

131_3132.jpg

131_3133.jpg

131_3135.jpg

131_3136.jpg

131_3137.jpg

WOW guess I am not the only guy to cut the stomach open on the fish I catch. That is really a big striper, hope you can get some more big ones soon JC!

Congrats mel on that beautiful rockfish!

Sorta humblin to someone that was tryin to "toot their horn" on a prior Thread re catchin whut ur fish eats!! Guess all things are relative!! Least I didnt have to display my trophy White Perches Gut contents...would need a microscope to analyze!! LOL

LarryPerch.jpg

WOW! That is a heck of a big FISH! Of COURSE you're going to get that thing MOUNTED aren't ya?

One question...What the crap is a "bunker?"

Bunker is a menhaden, which is a type of baitfish.

Hey we need to put together an East Coast Modern Muzzleloader Monster Striper trip for next spring. I think we could all stay in Veaters house! :lol:

big6x6 said:
WOW! That is a heck of a big FISH! Of COURSE you're going to get that thing MOUNTED aren't ya?

One question...What the crap is a "bunker?"

Hey Chuck,

Sorry for the delayed response...I have been out fishing the past couple of nights, and last night attended the renewal of vows for one a good friend of mine, (Mils), and his wife...

The funny thing is, I actually first met Mils almost a decade ago while fishing on the same piers where we got the Striper pictured above. While we only live a few miles from one another, we virtually only see each other in the spring and fall months while we are fishing the Striper runs....

I mention this because it was Mils that taught me how to successfully fish stripers from those piers. While it took me almost two years before getting my first keeper, Mils has continued to fish by my side ever since. In fact, to give an idea of how serious he takes the sport, not only did he invite me to his wedding, but when I sat at the table at the reception, I realized that everyone at my table were friends he and I have been fishing the striper runs with for years.... :yeah: His best man...was actually fishing with us the night I caught my first keeper on the piers years ago :wink:....

The reason I bring this up is that I really owe a debt of gratitude to Mils, and without him Mel and I likely would never have been able to catch a fish like we did last week....Mils is truly a class act...!!! (How many guys wear in Jersey City wear their sidearm, (he works, "ESU", or Emergency Services Unit, wich entails handling tactical responses and bomb diffusions here in JC), under their tuxedo at the 20th anniversary wedding renewal, surrounded by their closest friends, most of which were met in the dark of night along the Hudson river... :mrgreen: )

Finally,

Getting back to the initial subject. We decided not to get it mounted, though clearly we both believe it was worthy of it. Not only would have the cost very rather high, more importantly, neither of us currently have room to hang a four foot long mount on the wall!! (However, with the pics we have taken I believe a reproduction is still a possibility in the future)

As far as what a bunker is....well it best known as being the "potato chip of sea", for all predator fish in both the Atlantic and Pacific....I'll post some actual facts about them, and their abundance as soon I get some data together.

In the meantime, here a few pics of wedding couple form the past few years.... :prayer:

JC

EmiliosStriper.jpg

kristies_fish.jpg

Latest posts

Back