Lake Okeechobee Florida

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dry Powder

Reaction score
Spend 3 days on Lake Okeechobee with 2 of my sons and a grandson.  Stayed at a marina just west of were the Kissimmee river enters the lake.  North side of the lake.  
There is a lock right across from the marina which in normal times gives you access into the lake. As the water in the lake has been drawn down,  the lock is closed. Hurricane season is coming so they lower the water level. 

No problem.   The rim canal has plenty of Bass.  The weather was windy and we had a big time thunder storm.  

Cranks baits and plastic baits were the  choices for all of us. Fished mornings till round 11 am then back on the water around 4:30 pm.  Middle of the day is to HOT!  

During the down time we went into the town of Okeechobee for lunch at the Golden Corral.  Chow down.  

The Wal-Mart in Okeechobee has a really big fishing dept. In the past we`ve always gone in there just to check things out.   I`ve fished some tournaments at the lake with one of my sons and we always seem to find a "got to have it lure."  

late afternoon/evening fishing ( except for the thunder storm) is usually productive. Fish right up to dark.    Just us and the gators. 

We fished Sunday morning till 11 am then loaded up and headed back to Orlando.  The un-official tally 
     was 93 Bass. All catch and release!  Big Bass, 5lbs 4ozs. Lots of 2-4 lbers.  Plus some dinks. 

We`ve taken many trips like this. The fishing part is always unknown. The good times all always there.

Lake Okeechobee is one lake in FL I would really like to bucket-mouth fish.  The lake always seems to draw tournament pro anglers...BASSMASTERS comes to mind.

Marty

Lake Okeechobee covers 730 square miles...…….It`s a relative shallow lake so you really have to keep an eye on the weather as a strong wind can turn it into a fresh water version of the north Atlantic.

If your a dedicated Bass fisherman, this would be the perfect place to test your skills.

Back