last hour deer

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doulos

Reaction score
I know this doesent seem like much to some guys but yesterday I scored on a medium size button buck for the freezer in the last hour of NY's Southern zone muzzleloaderseason. I had only been out about 5 times this season. And last year due to ministry was living in Florida and didnt hunt at all. Last year I wasnt sure I would ever hunt again and actually sold much of my hunting gear before moving to Florida.
Well after living down there for 16 months my wife and I came back to the western NY region in late October. I was excited thinking about hunting again. But man's plans usually aren't the final say in things. I was diagnosed after a stress test with a heart blockage. I went into the hospital for a angiogram and they found I had a 100% blockage of my right coronary artery. The doctor successfully placed 2 stents in the artery. He said I was blessed that I had small collateral arteries that actuall went around the blockage and fed the back of my heart. He also said my diligent excersize increased the size of those collaterals. Are we fearfully and wonderfully made or what?
Well a few weeks later and I hunted 2 times in the regular gun season taking it easy just sitting on stumps with my TC pistol. This was the first time I'd hunted with anything other than a muzzleloader in more than 15 years.
I didnt see a deer.
Later on in the muzzleloader season I still was having no luck even seeing a deer. Till one night walking back to the truck I spotted 5 deer running through a tall grass field that was between a huge thicket and a clover field.
The next time out I investigated and found where they were coming out of the thicket. I picked a spot between the 2 heaviest runs and backed into a bush on a 5 gal pail.
Sure enough with only about 15-20 minutes of legal shooting time left I see a set of ears about 50 yards away in the grass. I dont see any antlers when he raises his head but I decide to take him. I wait for him to move a little to a clearer spot and lower his head again I raise the gun and the deer is looking straight at me. Not my favorite shot. But I placed the cross hairs on the middle of the brisket and let er rip. The smoke of the 100 grains of Goex FFg obscures my view. I had a little troulble finding the deer in the tall grass. ( It went about 30 yards). But I was happy when I did. The 300 grain XTP
( the most underated bullet out there) out of MK-85 went exactly where I aimed. I was just happy to have one for the freezer.

Merry Christmas.
Jesus is the reason for the season
Luke 2:11for today in the city of David there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord

Merry Christmas and congrats :D Nothing like a good clean kill and some venison in the freezer, gotta' love it.

Whitesmoke

Congrats. on your hunt and being able to put some tasty treats into the deep freeze. :D Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Back