Last of the Pinnacle 3f out of my GMB Renegade

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
I was shooting my Stainless Steel Green Mountain Barrel with the 1-28 twist off my Renegade today. I decided to shoot some Pinnacle 3f. I picked a .430 240 grain XTP and a T/C mag express sabot to shoot. The target on the right shows what 12 rounds of XTP look like without swabbing at all, and shooting as fast as I could. At the top of the target shows the five patches it took to clean the rifle.

And since I had been told that my 1-28 twist Green Mountian would shoot roundball, I had to try. I loaded a .490 roundball with a moose milk patch. I was shooting 60 grains of Swiss 3f powder. The hit at the top was to see just where the rifle was shooting before I went after the 1" bulls eye. I forget now who told me to try the GMB with roundball, but I thank you.. you were absolutly right. I lost count of how many roundball I shot, and never swabbed the barrel.

This was done at the 30 yard station off a Caldwell Dead Shot rest. After that I decided to stop shooting paper and used Swiss 2f and some roundball, again using 60 grains. I set up three spray paint cans (empty) at 30 yards, and wanted to pick the little blue spray button first off the top of the can. I did manage to clip one of them off, but on the other two, nicked the top of the can.

I then put the cans length ways in to a snow bank and shot for the bottom of the can at about 40 yards. I wanted to see how far the bullet dropped and how far it would drive the can into the packed snow bank. Well the roundball did not seem to drop yet and would push the cans into the snow. One went in over seven inches.... A lot of fun. More so then punching holes in paper.

stainlessroundball-pinnaclecombined.jpg

cayuga, those GM barrels have 1-28" twists, correct? im wanting to work up a roundball plinker load for my mk-85, which also has the 1-28" twist GM barrel. coupla weekends ago i tried 40 grains t7 w/ a .015 patched .490 hornady round ball. results were sketchy. the other propellant i have at the moment is pyrodex RS. think 50-60 grains of the RS would do the trick? i guess it's at least POSSIBLE to make that fast a twist shoot roundballs :think:

My little Knight Wolverine LK-II with 50-60 grains of Goex and a roundball is deadly. The rifle is scoped and I have used it to shoot squirrels and small game hunt.

This posted group was only 30 yards, but it is a nice tight group. I so far have been real pleased with the two new Stainless Steel barrels I bought.

Back