late season small game

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm hunting rabbits and squirrels. Squirrels are easy at our lease, pecans are all over the place. i usually hunt rabbits and squirrels with a Ruger 10/22. i take head shots on small game with a scoped .50 muzzleloader if given the chance.

I've been hunting squirrels, rabbits and predators with my .36 muzzle loader.  So far I have not had any luck with calling in predators, but I have taken a few squirrels and one rabbit.  I keep waiting for some snow cover to make it easier to see rabbits.  We had some snow last weekend, but it is all gone now.

These guys...
2009_0419Park0020-E.jpg

are right up there with the annoying blue jays on my deer hunting sits.  

It's open season on red squirrels so I hunt them this time of the year with a scoped .177 caliber pellet rifle.  They are pretty easy to find in Jan./Feb if you know where to look.  I just find a dark, heavy stand of white pines and wait them out.  Here’s what I see through my scope
[font=Verdana, sans-serif]
20160130_121318_-_Copy_zpsvpuibzx8.jpg

[/font]

Nothing fancy with my set-up.  A 1,200 f.p.s. GAMO Hornet fitted with a 4 X 32 Mil-Dot Scope
20160130_124717_zps9xz6qu3m.jpg

[/font]
sending this ammo. 
20160130_130840_-_Copy_zpsr1xonqh0.jpg

[/font]

It’s is a peaceful change of pace from my previous hunts that required considerably more prep time and energy.  

Does shooting flickers and voles count? Our deck is on three sides of the house and from there I shoot voles with a 2100 classic Crossman pellet/BB gun. There is no snow around the base of our Ponderosa or spruce trees so voles are easy to see, and we have thousands of them crop eaters! Killed a flicker with a BB a couple days back.

John

Back