Let the games begin....NJ Stripers...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcchartboy

Reaction score
Well it is officially that time of year again. Although many stripers have been caught in this area in the past few weeks/months, the season has now officially swung into full gear this weekend.
One might ask how I surmise that fact. Well, here is what I look for..
1. The first 50lb was caught EAST of NJ this week.
2. Herring have been in the area for a month
3. Bunker schools are showing consistantly around the Staten Island area.
4. Many 40+ in fish are being reported daily, some of which are 40lb+
5. Numerous reports of large Black drum being caught from the surf,(meaning more 50lb Bass are right behind)
6. The OFFICIAL test....when I walked out of the gym this morning, one of my friends was pulling up a 30+in Bass out of the river as I walked by him.

Expect some pics and my first personal report of the 05 season tomorrow...

Sounds like the gym was the wrong place for you to be this morning Jeff! :lol:

Yes,

I do almost all my striper fishing from shore here (99%). I specialize in bait fishing for 'large' stripers. I would say my average fish is about 37in. Mind you this not a result of some special fishing power. I am simply selective about when/how I fish for my bass. For example I have not been out yet this year as this area does not hold good numbers of large bass until certain conditions are met, (as mentioned above). Then when the 'large' arrive it is not unusual to find me fishing 6 days a week and pulling all-nighters at the river.

To clarify a little further, I focus my attention on the spring and fall Bunker runs here in the Hudson River. It is a simple matter of nature, when there is such an enormous concentration of truely large baitfish, the big bass will not be far behind.
My preference is to liveline the bunker (9-14in baits), when possible. With bait that large you can see why a tend to catch large fish. When I can't snag live bunker I will chuck them. This often results in more fish, yet the average size might be smaller.
It all comes down to fact that I try to focus my efforts when I think the chances are best for both #'s and size. I am just fortunate to live in an are where that can be found in a very concentrated window.

Thanks Jeff, sounds like a blast!! I know those 31-33 inchers run in the 15-18 lbs range so guess them 37 inchers are mid 20 lbs plus.

Tuesday I'm going out of Cape May, NJ with Capt. Bob Drake with 3 guys from work. My first time with him but hear he's knows Stripers. My MD Striper Season opens 6/1 on the Lower Susquehanna.

Yes that is true for size/weight. Just remember that is true for fork length not total length,(wich adds a couple inches to fork length).

You should do very well on Tuesday no matter who you go with!!

You should do very well on Tuesday no matter who you go with!!

Jeff, thats what I like hearin from a Jersey guy! :D I do see some bad weather moving in though.

I am not very familiar with the Cape May area. However, in most of the rest of the state this time of year you can usually stay inside, (back bays, etc) any do pretty well if the weather is bad.

Latest posts

Back