Leupold Ultimate Slam Scope Report Update....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paia

Reaction score
I have the Leupold US 3x9x40 on a T/C Omega and have been shooting it some over the last few weeks and wanted to pass along what I have found out about it.

Overall, I like it very much and have worked up my 200 yard "settings" for a couple loads. To be honest I don't worry about the "2 pellet" setting or the "3 pellet" setting etc. I am just interested in having a good, solid aiming "dot" for my loads at 200 yds and I want the scope on 9X for shooting that far.

FWIW, here is what I have found so far--

With 100 grns. (vol.) BH209, Hornady .452/300 grn XTP & Harvester Black Crush Rib sighted in 2" high at 100 yds. the US scope is DEAD ON at 200 yds. using the lowest dot on the 9X/3 pellet setting. That's actually the 250 yard dot for 3 pellets and a 250 grn SST, but, like I said, I am just reporting what I found for MY loads at 9X and 200 yds.

Another load my Omega likes--

120 grns (vol.) BH209, T/C 200 grn Shock Wave & supplied Blue (MMP?) Sabot sighted dead on at 100 yds is DEAD ON at 200 yds. on 9X with the first dot--the "official" 200 yard dot. I have an 8" steel plate and killed it 12 times in a row today. It was a little breezy and they strung to the right a little, but all 12 shots could have been covered with a 3x5 index card. If Hornady toughens up this bullet for 2009, like I have heard rumors of, this will be my Iowa deer load come December.

I am sorry that my club range does not have 150 or 250 yard target butts, so I could not shoot at those distances to check those range marks in the Leupold reticle.

At this point I am just checking for 200 yds on 9X and I like what I have found so far. The dots in this reticle are very "user friendly" and fwiw I much prefer them to the Nikon circles in their ML scope reticle.

I hope I have not confused folks too much and I hope this was a little interesting anyway.

excellent report. I have admired that scope but I got a good deal on a Nikon Omega and went that route. Good luck shooting that far.

Thanks paia!

I have two new Leupold Ultimate Slams, one I just sighted in today, but only shot at 100. This one is on a H&R Sidekick that I am testing a new carrierless breech plug in. The other is on my new Knight Disc Elite .45, but I haven't shot it yet.

Here is my target from today. The X was my on paper shot from just eyeball bore sighting. This was a hodge podge of bullets and primers, the top left is the 200 grain shockwave over 120 grains BH209, it came in at .758". :D

013-1.jpg

Good report. This just goes to show, you need to verify on paper what the paperwork or computer says.

Latest posts

Back