Lightweight 12ga and 20ga?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have two older guns. One is a 20ga, about 1880 with good Damascus barrel. The seller has been shooting Winchester AA Target shells. Is there a better shell that could be even safer for my old gun?

My second gun has 12ga, also older, but has steel barrel Nitro proof, but also late 1800s/early 1900s. What kind of light loads could I use? I do not plan to use either for regular shooting, but make a few shots.

Ready to make an order.

For the 20ga I'd be really tempted to get some all-brass shells and load my own using black powder...

For the nitro proofed gun, any of the light target loads at wally world or wherever.

For the 20ga I'd be really tempted to get some all-brass shells and load my own using black powder...

For the nitro proofed gun, any of the light target loads at wally world or wherever.
I like the 20g all-brass, but would need to set up for reloading them. Only think about shooting a few times. Maybe I can find a local guy who reloads 20ga.... Maybe I'll buy some brass. I love the way they look and really appropriate for this old gun.

Based on my experience, my 20s tend to throw a higher percentage pattern than my 12s, when using the same size shot at the same yardages.

However, the 12 still technically outperforms the 20 even with a lower pattern percentage, because I’m able to shoot 1/4 or 3/8 oz more shot at an equivalent velocity, so I end up with more pellets in the usable pattern, plus many more pellets in the fringe pattern, thus giving me a theoretically larger size pattern.

In the field, this doesn’t really matter for me personally…until I need to shoot #2 or #1 size shot. Inside 35 yards, 20ga is equal to a 12ga..

Back