Liking the .54 Cabelas Hawken

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
this is the 1st 3 shots from my new unfired Cabelas Sporterized Hawken that I just traded for, screwed up and grabbed 3 tubes of 85 gr. pyrodes RS instead of the tubes of Goex 3f but went ahead and shot them anyway, wiped for shot #2 didnt on 3rd.... 3rd shot had a slight hangfire..85 gr. pyro.RS, .535 ball and some jean pocket material for a patch lubed w/Crisco,will shoot the Goex next time... ball/patch combo could be started with my thumb and went down very easy, so tighter might even be better.If this is any indication how well its going to shoot then going to be very happy with it, late doe season comes in the 26th so going to try to bust one with it. Sorry for the scribbling between shot 2/3 but started to mark same hole twice as #2.

Attachments

• IMG_1463.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 387
Lookin' good for offhand at 45 yards! I would have to give it a try with some sort of rest before hunting.

My friend has the exact same caliber and model rifle. And his is a very good shooter. He shoots 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a .530 patched ball. I tried to get him to try the .535 ball but he said he was happy with the rifle the way he had it. And he shoots deer with it, so it must be working just fine.

I have shot his rifle and was very impressed with the trigger and the way it shouldered. I think that is made by Investarms Inc.

excess650 said:
Lookin' good for offhand at 45 yards! I would have to give it a try with some sort of rest before hunting.
Will shoot it from a rest, Im a decent to above average offhand shot so this gives me a indication of how much better it will shoot from a rest, it was too cold today to sit out and shoot for a hour or so... I very seldom use a rest when shooting a deer, usually standing up in my climber.

cayuga said:
My friend has the exact same caliber and model rifle. And his is a very good shooter. He shoots 90 grains of Pyrodex RS and a .530 patched ball. I tried to get him to try the .535 ball but he said he was happy with the rifle the way he had it. And he shoots deer with it, so it must be working just fine.

I have shot his rifle and was very impressed with the trigger and the way it shouldered. I think that is made by Investarms Inc.

This gun is one of the best feeling guns as far as fit that Ive shot open sighted, hangs very steady when breaking the trigger.
Also bought the .530 balls and with same patch material they almost fell into barrel, have some heavier ticking I will try with them.

Latest posts

Back