54 CALIBER LOAD DEVELOPMENT

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am back after taking time off. I really enjoyed the GOOD LAUGH section used in this site. I like to start the day with a good laugh or two. My wife had a successful knee replacement and rehabilitation. I got through the holidays, winter, and finally I got back to the range.

I created a load development chart using the laws of diminishing returns for an efficient powder charge. I am attaching a copy of the chart. I used Cabela’s Hawken 54 caliber cap lock rifle, patched round balls, FFg Goex powder, and CCI caps. My chart was made in excel and needed to be converted to “pdf” for the modern muzzleloader forum site.

The first section is “INPUT GUN TEST DATA”. The maximum load for this rifle was set at 100 grV by the gun manufacturer. Brands of black powder CAN differ in strength (energy/grV). The next lines (PCMAX & PCCHG) are for that adjustment. The other lines are for other calculations in the worksheet.

The second section is “GRAINS BY VOLUME”. The maximum powder charge is reduced by 60% for the starting load. The powder charge is increased by 10% to maximum charge. I created a powder charge table for 60, 70, 80, 90, and 100 grV to convert powder charge to grW. I used the dry ingredients measuring method (chemistry - NO TAPPING) for measuring the powder. I weighed 10 powder charges for each grV and you can see the summery. The small standard deviation (S.D.) indicates a good measuring technique. I put the individual charges in Lane’s tubes for use at the range. Good product (thanks Lane’s tubes). I consider the grW to be a more accurate way of measuring powder charges.

The third section is “5 SHOT INCREMENTAL VELOCITY TEST”. I did this test using an Oehler 35P chronograph. The summary for each 5 shot test is very interesting. The small standard deviation (S.D.) shows a very consistent loading technique. I considered the velocity at 80 grV to be a good performer. I did a ½ increment test of 85 grV as an additional check. This did not show any great promise, so I am sticking with the 80 grV powder charge.

The fourth and fifth sections show the “RESULTS”. The fourth section shows the changes between each percentage change. The increment velocity % shows the change when I went from 80% to 85% to 90%. The fifth section shows grV, grW, MV, RECOIL, KINETIC for full and ½ powder charge increment.

The sixth section is “BALL KINETIC ENERGY”. This section shows the kinetic energy for each powder charge increment. I am also showing the ½ increment velocity test for comparison.

The last section is “ADDITIONAL CALCULATION”. These calculation are for support information. There are other considerations for load development such as shot grouping, recoil, cost per shot, and solid powder residue. The calculations are footnoted to show where the formulas came from. Before the invention of the micrometer, the number of balls per pound was used to determine the bore diameter. I did this for the historical value. We still use this calculation today but for shotgun gauges.

I worked on this during the winter and my wife’s surgery. I hope everyone enjoys the data from the chart.

Attachments

• a-black powder additional calculations pdf.pdf
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
  • a-black powder ball kinetic energy chart pdf.pdf
    8.7 KB · Views: 1
  • a-black powder grains by volume chart pdf.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 0
  • a-black powder gun input data pdf.pdf
    7.9 KB · Views: 0
  • a-black powder load evaluation 1 pdf.pdf
    9.3 KB · Views: 0
  • a-black powder load evaluation 2 pdf.pdf
    11.7 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for posting your results. I have a 54 caliber CVA Missouri rifle that seems to do best with a 70 grain charge (v) of 3f Swiss under a patched ball. I haven't spent a great deal of time shooting that particular rifle but I do have plans for the near future.

Thank you. I do enjoy working with ballistics. Needless to say, I had a lot a of shooters at the range watch me collect the data. One of the biggest questions was, how fast was the ball running? It was almost like teaching a class. Everyone was wanting to know why I was doing certain things. The answer was for accuracy.

Latest posts

Back