load developement

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browndog

Reaction score
I have a Lyman Deerstalker stainless 54 cal and am new to this game. I have been loading 100gn ffg wano powder by weight putting the cartridge paper down the bore as a wad and ramming a lyman 405gn maxiball on top.At 50 yds it puts 2 rounds within an inch on the bull and throws the rest around the target up to 6 inches away. Today I tried a lubed felt wad over the powder and the 3 round group exceeds 10 inches. The hammer is going to half cock 2 out of the three shots.
Is this a sign of excess pressure?
When hunting the rifle with the old load 2 shots are plenty. Do I need to clean the barrel every second shot? Should I try again with 80 gns ffg and and felt wads and see what happens?
The felt wads were the only change.
Its a long way to get advice in Australia but thanks for your assistance.
Regard Browndog

Just thinking here..but maybe you should measure powder my volume and not weight. Do you have an adjustable powder measure? If your hammer is blowing back to half cock your loads might be to hot. Try starting around 80grns with and without the lubed wad and work up in 5 grain increments. I do swab between shots, damp patch followed by dry.

In the black powder arena, we measure our charge by volume, NOT weight. .

your 100 grains is great for VOLUME, but by weight, it will be different.

Some people will find their "perfect" load (by volume), then measure it by weight. This means that 100G of 2F (by volume) will give them really nice groups, and if they want the BEST consistency, they will measure that 100G of 2F by weight. When they measure it, they will probably find that 100G of 2F by volume is equivalent to 50 (just guessing and using an arbitrary number) grains by weight.

Since each manufacturer of powder has a different weight per volume, you cannot rely upon someone telling you that your Swiss is equivalent to XYZ by weight. . . or your XYZ powder is equivalent to XXX by weight.

100 grains is a LOT of powder by WEIGHT for most powders I know of. That hammer coming back says one thing. . .WAY too much pressure and powder.

2f Black powder is one of the powders that 100 grains by Volume also equals 100 grains by weight. I believe Pyrodex RS is another. But most people use a volume powder measure and just pour out the weight of powder they want. Although, there is nothing wrong with weighing out your powder charge.

Your shooting an excellent Black Powder. I shoot Wano and really like the powder. I also shoot Schuetzen, Goex, and Swiss. But have shot a lot of Wano and found it to be an excellent black powder.

Your shooting a .54 caliber maxiball. 405 grains of weight is a lot of bullet. If all your hunting is deer... try 70 grains of Wano powder, NO WAD AT ALL, and then the maxiball. A maxiball is a flat based conical VS a hollow based conical like the Maxi Hunter. Sometimes, the wad just don't help at all. Also your rifle has a 1-48 twist. So try slowing the conical down a little. You might be surprised at the accuracy. Also if you have any .535 roundball around, try them with a .015-.018 patch and lube the patch with spit. I think you will like the accuracy with about 85 grains of powder. I shoot two different Lyman Trade Rifles. One is a .54 and one is a .50 caliber. Both are flintlocks. They love 90 grains of 2f black powder and a patched ball. And that will shoot length way through a large deer at 50 yards. So there is plenty of power.

I suspect the reason the hammer is cocking back is with 100 grains of powder your creating some rather heavy pressures. Now this is just a guess. Reduce the powder charge and see if this helps out. Try 70 grains and see how that shoots. If you get good accuracy, kick it up to 75 grains. Again, if its good accuracy, kick it up to 80 grains. Once the accuracy falls off.. go back to what was working best.

What kind of lube are you shooting on the maxiball? Is this the factory bore butter?

Latest posts

Back