Loading the 38-55

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 375 Winchester in a 94 Big Bore and I found out that you can shoot 38-55 cartridges out of it. I just happen to have 4 boxes of new 38-55 cases. I was looking at the load data and the 38-55 is a fairly mild cartridge. With lg rifle primers as scarce as hen's teeth I am considering using lg pistol primers. They're the same size as lg rifle but the cups are thinner. I compared the 38-55 data to the 44 rem mag and the 44 pruduces a lot more pressure so I really don't see an issue with the lg pistol primers.
I wouldn't even be loading the rounds to max charges. Just some light plinking loads with my own cast bullets.
Advice from experienced reloaders and not newbies that think manual "recipes" are cast in stone.

As long as your gun don't pierce the primers, you're fine. Load some test rounds and try it. Pressure on a 38-55 cast load is safe for the primer thickness. I've been loading for over 40 yrs with no injuries! Thank God!

Back