Loggy Bags A PA Fall Turkey With A Lil Help (I Think)

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loggy

Reaction score
Hunted out of my Sullivan County Camp opening Sat & Monday. Sat I covered many miles in the heavy rain(AM) & the afternoon. Couldnt locate any turkey not find any fresh sign. Only one turkey weighed in at Hillsgrove store on Sat. Not a good day.

Monday i decided to hunt an area of Lycoming State Forest where my Dad while on the Earth killed quite a few turkeys. It was the mountain where I killed my first deer & where Dad killed his last which I helped drag out just before cancer took Dad back in 1987.

While hiking up the Mtn Monday I was recollecting all the fine times i spent with Dad in this God given paradise. To add to this hunt I was wearing Dad's ole Weinbrenner Woods-N-Stream boots he bot about 2 years before he passed to guide me to his favorite hunting grounds about 2-3 miles up the mountain.. Mom said Dad felt bad about spending $25 hard woodworkers dollars for those boots. Makes me feel a lil guilty about my Danners costing 10 time that. :lol:

On with the hunt. There were no vehicles parked in the access area so i knew there likely was no one hunting the mountain. After about 1-2 miles up the mtns I heard a faint yelp that was barely audable. I pulled my Cody Woods Slate out & yelped a few time, waited & nothing. I then started to slowly proceed up the mtn & then I heard the turkey yelp again...a lil closer. I immediately set-up in frt of a big tree in some heavy hemlock/grape vine cover. I called again on my Cody & the turkey answered again & was on the move down the mtn towards me. I called again & nothing. I then mixed it up with my Madd Ship Wreck mouth call. Immediately got another answer. This back & forth went on for about 1/2 hour. I was mixing things up, using silent treatment & anything else up my sleeve..

Then I was looking thru the thicket & I saw the turkey but just its head with neck/body behind tree. It looked like around 40 yards. I then put my safe off & was ready. I waited for about 1 minute(seemed like an eternity) & then the turkey stepped out offering me a good neck/head shot. I centered my Tru-Glo Aimpoint F.O. on the head/neck & squeezed off and sent a load of 12 Ga. 3.5 Mag HV Federal no. 5's on its way. The sound of my shot roared down the mtn lauder than I ever can remember. The turkey flopped for about 10 seconds & that was it.

I stepped shot off & it was 51 yards. A lil further than I like but tuff to estimate range in the Big Mtns where shots are many time a lil longer than in the low country. Plus, I was confortable what my Browning with Briley Ext Ex Full choke can do with the Federal FliteControl load. Turkey's head/neck was hammered!! (see pic below)

I know I didnt break the flock & know whose boots lead me to a successful hunt. I would like to dedicate this turkey to Dad feeling in my heart that he played a part in my hunt. To what extent I will never know. Also, thanks Dad for teaching me to be a good woodsman/sportsman. :)

Me & Turkey (15 LB Hen)

MeFallTurk.jpg

Turkey & Browning At Camp

FallTurkGun.jpg

Turkey Head

FallTurkHead.jpg

Dad's Ole Weinbrenner Woods-N-Streams W/Screwed Vibrams

DadsBoots.jpg

DadsBootsA.jpg

Congratulations on the turkey... the group at that distance is very impressive to say the least.

Thanks much guys!! Im already chompin at the bit thinkin of Spring Gobber Season here in the PA State!! :lol:

Nice turkey,great story and a good shot at that range.
Congrats

:D Thanks guys!

Tom...looks like an outstanding Spring here in NE PA based on turkeys seen thru deer/bears seasons!! Wont be too long!

Back