First Gobbler of the season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
b
Yeah after talking wiht @Ninering62 at lunch time I was gonna bust out of work (working from home today, normal Thursday thing for me) a bit early and head up for an evening hunt.

Something however has gone wrong and I have a lot of unhappy electrons to deal with, but I have to sit in a teams meeting waiting for one person to get back and respond about stuff....

And tomorrow is supposed to be rain.

Aaaargh!
Best laid plans of mice...
Good luck when you do get out. There's always fishing in the rain..

If it aint the dang electrons, its them stoopid protons. Don’t even get me started on them ole neutrons!

TY
The anticipation leading up to opening day of spring turkey season is agonizing
Great bird Niner, gotta ask.... do you have a preference between turkey or deer hunting and why?

Great bird Niner, gotta ask.... do you have a preference between turkey or deer hunting and why?
/a:11

They are two diff types of hunting, both exciting & very enjoyable to me. I would never want to be forced to choose one or the other. The only thing that would make me choose deer over turkey is the amount of meat on the deer. The only thing that would make me choose turkey over deer is when I can’t get all that deer meat out of the woods any longer.
My fav hunting has always been wing shooting with rabbit being a close second. Just for the action & the skill needed to hit anything. Thanks for a good question to ponder & answer brother.

/a:11

They are two diff types of hunting, both exciting & very enjoyable to me. I would never want to be forced to choose one or the other. The only thing that would make me choose deer over turkey is the amount of meat on the deer. The only thing that would make me choose turkey over deer is when I can’t get all that deer meat out of the woods any longer.
My fav hunting has always been wing shooting with rabbit being a close second. Just for the action & the skill needed to hit anything. Thanks for a good question to ponder & answer brother.

Be honest. You just really like playing with that box call....

I’ve seen this bird with his little “ Entourage “ for several days now in the field where our blind & decoys are. It’s one of the big birds I’m after this season.
I’d say it weighs about 20lbs.
Spurs are 1 1/8”
Beard is 10.5” which ties my biggest. Now I go after one of the 11”-12” 25lb Toms that are around here.
Looks like some more of that Turkey soup is on n the way.
Hopefully Anonymouscowherd will be able to come out to play tomorrow & we’ll get after them again. The season has just started & we had a great first two days, considering neither of us shot a bird. That happens when you truly enjoy hunting & enjoy hunting with that person.
Anyways, I DID NOT COUCH HUNT this bird.
I did see him from the fam rm door, I changed clothes faster than I thought was possible & headed out the front door & down the tree line to hide behind where my truck is parked, hoping he would come out there.
When I got behind the truck & popped my head up, he was headed into the pines next to my shooting range. I’d let this guy strut around here enough, so I blasted him.
Hey ! Ninering Arnie says congrats with a little dose of jealousy . We have to wait till the 1st of May up here in the southern tier of New York. God I do love to hear and hunt those fabulous thunder birds. but the waiting is torcher in slow mo.

Hey ! Ninering Arnie says congrats with a little dose of jealousy . We have to wait till the 1st of May up here in the southern tier of New York. God I do love to hear and hunt those fabulous thunder birds. but the waiting is torcher in slow mo.
One of the few things I like about Florida is we have 2 long turkey seasons, we can harvest 2 birds each season, even both in the same day & we can hunt dawn to dusk.
Where I’m from had a decent amount of turkeys by the 90’s but the seasons were short, only 1 bird per & had to stop hunting at noon.
I’ve got 17 turkey in the yard & field this morn, but all are Jakes & hens. That’s 15 more than we saw all day yesterday.

Back