Looking for member of Portuguese descent?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew323

Reaction score
Just finished cooking the recipe in the link below, and was wondering how authentic of a Portuguese recipe it was?

I really like the flavors of the cod & the shrimp together, something I have never bothered to mix with one another in a recipe before.

Of course, being a chef, not having all of the exact ingredients on hand that the recipe called for, I changed things up a bit.

I did not pre-cook the shrimp in boiling water flavored with a yellow onion.

I had most of a pound of cooked elbow macaroni on hand that I had seasoned with a drizzle of EVOO, salt, and fresh ground black pepper. I used about half of a 1lb box in the recipe.

I cut the yellow onion (2 medium) intended for seasoning the cooked shrimp, into 1/2" dice.

I had the equivalent of a whole bell pepper in the freezer (red, yellow, orange), defrosted it, squeezed it dry.

All I had on hand was a small amount of ground coriander seeds, not fresh cilantro/coriander. Seasoned the frozen, defrosted, cod fillets (3/4" dice), and the frozen, defrosted 12-15ct deveined shrimp (cut into thirds) with salt, the ground coriander seeds, and a generous amount of fresh ground black pepper.

I also seasoned the proteins with ground paprika, which has a small amount of heat.

Sauteed the yellow onion, and the bell pepper mix in about 2Tbsps of vegetable oil for approximately 5 minutes. Added about 2 tsp each of refrigerated garlic paste, and ginger paste. Cooked that for about a minute, stirring constantly so the pastes would not burn. Added a 14.5oz can of petite diced tomatoes & the cooked elbow macaroni. When the contents of the 8qt sauce pot was close to a simmer, I added the diced codfish. Cooked until the fish was about 3/4's cooked through, then added the shrimp. Tasted it, adjusted the seasonings with 1tsp of dried red pepper flakes. Removed from the heat when the shrimp was nearly cooked through, and allowed the thin stew to rest until the shrimp had finished cooking.

Tasted great, but my curiosity wants to know how close to traditional Portuguese cooking this recipe is?

Thanks,
Bruce

https://www.foodfromportugal.com/recipes/pasta-cod-shrimp/#jrecipe

Back