Loose Powder Recovery?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTR2133

Reaction score
I switched to loose powder in 2020 and I love it. Sun I didn't take a shot and I put the ml in the safe with powder and bullet in but removed the primer. I was nervous about corrosion so tonight I pulled the breech and pushed the powder and bullet out. Big mess; the loose powder got all in the breech threads and grease. Curious how you guys recover loose powder or do you just take a shot and clean?

Lastly, I use loose 777 and how long is that safe to keep in the barrel if this happens again? Meaning if I don't get a shot, can I leave it loaded a week or more till next outing? There was 0 sign of any corrosion tonight after 3 days.

I’m with Encore on the brushes. Really the best way to do it unless you want to chase the threads with a pick of some sort. As far as leaving the powder for a week or more, without any moisture it’s probably fine but I wouldn’t risk it. Cheaper to dump the powder than potentially damage your barell imo.

If I’m not going to hunt any more then I’ll fire it off at the end of day. Or pull the bullet and as much of the powder as you can and just fire the powder off.

I would have no problem leaving T7 in the barrel for several weeks. Like I always say, load it in the cold leave it in the cold shoot it in the cold. T7 isn't corrosive until it is shot. It's the residue from the spent gasses that's corrosive.

I shoot it out at the end of the day when hunting. Clean & reload fresh each morning. Loose black powder - like spilled? Hmm. Don't recommend the shop vac for any large amount. Swept into a trash sack, it goes "poof" when you burn trash.

would that be the same recomendation if using bh209?
If you're referring to my previous post then yes most definitely with bh209. The issue isn't corrosion. It's that T7 can suck up moisture (hygroscopic) and the gun won't go bang when you pull the trigger. As expensive as 209 is it ain't getting shot until the right critter is in the crosshairs. I've never had any problems that way with either powder.

I leave my gun loaded all season , I hunt all of December and January.when I shoot a deer that’s when I clean it.777, I also hunt in a heated box blind most of the time, and I bring the gun in and out of my house, I have never had a problem with it going off , or any corrosion .I shoot around 5 deer deer annually with it , so I can’t say what the longest duration of leaving it loaded is.I bet I’ve left it loaded for 3 weeks

For anyone who wants to recover unspent powder from the barrel wrap the BP threads with tape and no grease. Take the barrel off the gun making sure to break the plug loose first. Remove the plug with the barrel in a vertical position. Carefully pour the powder into a small container. Remove the bullet out of the breach end of the gun. I don't know that it matters but a previously imprinted bullet for me becomes a range round.

Latest posts

Back