Lots of new products from Big Green...

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big6x6

Reaction score
Looks like Remington has a lot in store for 2007:

Introduction of a new cartridge, the .17 Fireball. This .17 Mach IV based hotrod rendition of the .221 Fireball(shortened .222 Remington) shoots a .17cal 20gr Accutip-V bullet at 4000fps. The new round is available in the 700 CD SF, 700 SPS, 700 SPS Varmint, 700 VSF, and Model 7 CDL. I don't know why in the world they don't offer the LV SF, the obvious rifle for that caliber..

Speaking of the Model 700..select model 700s feature a new trigger, the X-Mark Pro trigger. Remington says up to 40% out of the box pull weight reduction and 100% adjustability. Remington offers no less than 19 different models of the 700 available in a total of 29 different chamberings from the .17 Hornet to the .375 Remington Ultra Mag.

But that's not ALL the chamberings from Remington. The Model 7 offers 4 MORE chamberings and the and the new 798/799s offer 4 MORE chamberings including the .458 Winchester Mag. That's THIRTY-SEVEN(if my math is correct!) different centerfire cartridges from one rifle maker. Talk about something for EVERYONE! Does ANY non-custom rifle maker offer more?

I'm thinking I'll be giving Big Green some business in the very near future!

Just 36 chamberings

T/C offers 89 chamberings if you oviously include Fox Ridge outfitters. :D :D

The Big Green and Ruger are trying to offset their market share losses to
Savage and Tikka.

Savage has set an industry standard for the "accu-trigger". Triggers from most of the major gun manufacturers will be adjustable in the near future. If not, they will wonder what happened to them.

Greg

CZ is getting a large market share these days as well. But my -06 Rem 700 Stainless Syn is still my go to gun.

Triggers from most of the major gun manufacturers will be adjustable in the near future.

The funny thing is..the 700 trigger always HAS been adjustable for anyone with a pea brain. EASY too although not AS easy as the Accu-Trigger. Same for the Model 70 Win. If anyone needs to work on a trigger, it's Ruger.

Tikka isn't really that big down here. Now CZ and Savage ARE. If someone gets a new varmint rifle, it's more than likely will be a Savage but if someone gets a .22LR more than likely it's a CZ. If someone shows up with a new 30-06/7 Mag/similar more than likely it's a 700 or an A-Bolt.

Triggers

Chuck,

You absolutely right. The 700 trigger has always been adjustable..I believe just 2 screws. The model 70 trigger has not changed since 1937 except for the addition of a locking nut on the sear arm( had just 1).

Remington did not want the rifle owner to adjust the trigger which is why they sealed the adjusting screws for liabilty reasons. They were unable to market the adjustability of the trigger for fear of user ending up in court.

Tikka has a large market share in the west and north- west section of the country. It used to be Ruger country. Sportsman Wharehouse does a ton of Tikka business.

Greg

You absolutely right. The 700 trigger has always been adjustable..I believe just 2 screws.

The real beauty of the Mod 700 trigger is the ability to have a triggersmith polish the internals to greatly improve the function of the trigger beyond the simple two screw adjustment. In fact, Jim Pigg, (formerly of the triggersmith.com) was until recently custom polishing and adjusting REM 700 triggers to near Jewel like quality for only 40$.

Alas.. Jim is no longer in business due to a tragic accident. However, the point remains that the basic Mod 700 triggers are capable of truely great things in the proper hands.

JC

Any news of the 35 Whelen being offered outside of the CDL line??

The Rem 700 trigger is a great trigger. It is easily adjustable via two screws, however the adjustment is critical and should only be attempted by those who know what they are doing. Not only must one adjust both, but they must be adjusted in correct order and then tested after all adjustments are complete or else you may end up with an unsafe situation. Also in regards to those who might ask on how to do it, sorry I won't tell you. It is not something I would be comfortable with doing with this type of communication. I was taught how to do it in a hands on situation by a USMC master gunsmith and would only show something like this to someone I knew very well and was comfortable with their particular level of mechanical comprehension.

Back