Finally a new .35 caliber and it is ....

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkitoff1

Reaction score
The Winchester .350 Legend?  That's it? That's the best they could come up with? I get the idea, a straight walled case to meet some legislated restrictions in some areas, particularly for deer hunting.

Since 2006 my son has used a cartridge known as the 360DW. Starline makes brass every couple of years but otherwise it is a reloading project since the factory cartridges are no longer available. Nonetheless, the brass is thick and rimmed and designed for heavy loads. We load a 180 grain .358 bullet at 1900 FPS (this is a 18" barrel). There are some factory handguns around the used market in 360DW caliber. Otherwise, the easiest way to get one is to take a .357 Mag single shot and hand-turn a chamber reamer about 5 full turns. That's it - instant 360DW.  If you have a Winchester Model 94 in 357 Magnum the same thing is done, plus you have to remove and file back the cartridge guides 5/16th. Again an hour of handy-work and you take a rifle to a new level. Note: The Model 92 has a shorter action and cannot take this alteration. Rumor is that the Henry lever-action can.

So Winchester put this new "Legend" cartridge in a synthetic stocked bolt action rifle. A full-sized one at that. I think they missed the boat with this one. It should have gone into a lever action, semi-auto, or at least a carbine length rifle.

Maybe Winchester should have resurrected their own 351 Winchester (SL) cartridge. This one sent a 180 grain bullet at 1925 FPS from a 20" barrel. Oh yeah, and it was a semi-auto "carbine". This one did use a .351" bullet.  A modernization of it would have been pretty straightforward and might have included a new .356-.358" bullet. 

There is also something called a 357 Maximum. This straight-walled cartridge is a tad longer than the 360DW and otherwise the same. It allows for a little more powder so the velocity with a 180 grain bullet can reach 2000 FPS from a 20" barrel.  It is just a bit too long to convert the Winchester 94, but it works great in single shot rifles. Since Winchester put the new "Legend" in a bolt action this one would have been a no-brainer. However, it could have been a platform for a new lever action rifle with an action long enough to accommodate it. The rifle would have been able to accommodate 357 Mag, 360DW and 357 Maximum so the versatility is there.

The 350 Legend is advertised predominantly with 150 grain bullets. These are said to have 2300 FPS MV. There is no "Wow" factor there. That is from a 24" or longer barrel. The previously mentioned cartridges all can replicate that with the same barrel length. The 351 WSL would be hard-pressed to get that velocity but it was never meant for a barrel that long. 

There is a suppressed version of this new cartridge that throws a 265 grain bullet at 1000 FPS.  Another is the 180 grain but interestingly, Winchester does not show the velocity of this bullet weight on their web-site. Maybe because the 35 caliber predecessors meet or exceed it in smaller cartridges?

Winchester - thank you for a new cartridge and in particular a new "35" - my personal favorite. At the moment you've missed the mark that I was looking for. A short, handy repeater would have been a great compliment to this cartridge (levergun). A new rifle that used the pre-existing 35's out there would have been even better. Instead, another bolt action is out and the AR crowd will soon have another cartridge to use. From what little I know, the States that are mandating straight-walled cartridges for deer hunting are also prohibiting semi-auto rifles for the same - so what's the attraction?

I have a 357 Max 14 in barrel Thompson Center Contender , it is at 2000 fps with my handloads and a 180 grain bullet. It does a job on hogs never had a chance to try it on anything else. Also have a 35 Winchester 14 in barrel for my contender I have taken a deer with it also a great shooter,with plenty of knock down power.

I owned a .357 Maximum Revolver, Was many years ago now. It was an Old Seville like new in it’s Box, I ended up selling it to the Makers Son. The .357 Maxi is a NO JOKE Potent Round in a Pistol/Revolver. It got a Bad rap/name as a Top strap cutter in Revolvers and Ruger ceased production of it, Which was truly a Shame! The problem was guy’s pushing lightweight (125 Grain) Bullets at INSANE Velocities, The .357 Maxi really Shined, and was Geared toward the Heavier 180 Grain Bullets, It was designed to Knock the Ram silhouette Targets over, The .357 Magnum was just Barely Enough, And sometimes not enough, The .357 Maxi was Born 

I hope the .350 Legend takes off and Does Well, I think it would be an AWESOME round in a little Lever Gun :Red tup:

My all-time favorite centerfire to deer hunt with was my .30-30 lever.   It was simply a fun gun to hunt with under 100 yards.  I always wanted a .35 Remington lever but never got one.  Doesn't look like the new cartridge fills that craving.

I almost got one of the Ruger 357max years ago but never could make a deal . I will stick with my Contender. I always wanted a 35 Rem marlin 336  but when I find one they want way too much I do have a Marlin 444 and a 45/70. I am also a fan of the 30/30 Got 2 94's . I guess you could say Im a lever gun lover always looking for more.

My all time favorite deer rifle is a Remington Model 700 BDL, in .243 Remington,  loaded with 100 grain Nosler Partitions, over a stout load of H1000.  Second, a Howa Model 1500, in ,270 Winchester,, loaded with 130 grain Speer Ballistic Tips, over a stout load of H1000.  If you think I like Hodgdon powder, you would be right..……..robin

I owned a .357 Maximum Revolver, Was many years ago now. It was an Old Seville like new in it’s Box, I ended up selling it to the Makers Son. The .357 Maxi is a NO JOKE Potent Round in a Pistol/Revolver. It got a Bad rap/name as a Top strap cutter in Revolvers and Ruger ceased production of it, Which was truly a Shame! The problem was guy’s pushing lightweight (125 Grain) Bullets at INSANE Velocities, The .357 Maxi really Shined, and was Geared toward the Heavier 180 Grain Bullets, It was designed to Knock the Ram silhouette Targets over, The .357 Magnum was just Barely Enough, And sometimes not enough, The .357 Maxi was Born

I hope the .350 Legend takes off and Does Well, I think it would be an AWESOME round in a little Lever Gun :Red tup:
Have a Ruger 10-1/2" 357 Max ( sold the 7-1/2") and a Ruger #1A 357 mag rechambered for the max so shoots each. Wish the smith had not stamped MAX after the 357 bbl designation as it shoots 357 and it dropped the collector value. I know, whine whine LOL. I have a '93 Marlin SRC 30/30 that had a bad bore and had Jes reboring bore and chamber it for 35/30 years ago, now I find out I have a Remington 360 Buckhammer with factory ammo available!

I'll stick with the .35 Remington. Whoops the bat snot out of the .350 and .360, whose only claims to fame are AR platforms ( .350), lever guns and single shots ( for the rimmed .360) and can be used in " straight wall only" areas.
But here they are. Variety is the spice of life.

The new 350 Legend is a neat little cartridge. Has plenty of punch for deer and blackies and hogs with very little recoil. I have one in a Savage Axis that is a sweet little shooter as well as one on a AR platform.
The old 35 Rem is a dandy cartridge in itself but has a bit more recoil. The 350 Legend is a great gun for a new shooter/hunter.
Now I see that because Win is having so much success with the 350 that Remington came out with the 360 Buckhammer. Seems like Big Green is always following in Winchester's footsteps when it comes to new cartridges.

Last edited:
Just what we need, more cartridges to be sold out at your local sporting good store....

I would like to see a focus on taking care of existing "customers" by bringing ammo stock up, and prices down, rather than making another cartridge that they can't keep up with.

Just what we need, more cartridges to be sold out at your local sporting good store....

I would like to see a focus on taking care of existing "customers" by bringing ammo stock up, and prices down, rather than making another cartridge that they can't keep up with.
Well Felonious that is what you call marketing. Companies know that there are a a lot of people out there that want the "latest and greatest". Let's face it. We could probably get by with just 3 or 4 rifle chamberings from the little .22 lr to a 400 Nitro Express to handle anything on this planet. I must have at least a dozen different chambered rifles for the old to the new. I don't need them but I like them. Just be thankful you live in a country where you can buy the gun of your choice fairly easily (so far).

My 8 year old grandson and his first deer. Taken with a 350 Legend this fall.View attachment 31132
That's a cool pic and a great buck and a good shot too. I hope you didn't ruin the young lad by shooting such a good one as his first! I can tell just by the smile on your face that you're just as excited if not more so than your grandson. Proud Pappy.
My one cousin's first big was a big 10 pointer. He's gotten a couple buck since then but nothing like that first one. My first buck was a small basket rack 8 pt. 5 on one side 3 on the other. Maybe about 1/3 the size of your grandson's.

He had been sick and was able to hunt the last weekend of gun season. We had done a lot of shooting and he stayed really calm. I admit that it was a great first deer and it may take a while for him to top it.

I'll stick with my 357 Max Encore rifle and CVA Scout pistol. They are both shooters!!

I’ve got a 350 and 450 but what I’d really like to see them open it up to in Michigan is the 243

Greg

I’ve got a 350 and 450 but what I’d really like to see them open it up to in Michigan is the 243
The only gun I killed more deer with than my .50 sidelock PRB is my Ruger 77 in 243. With a 100 grain partition I killed probably 20 deer in Wyoming. Never a problem. Id like to see it legal in Michigan too but I doubt it will happen. Either way Id probably use one of my Knight MZs for gun season. You guys turned me. 😀

The only gun I killed more deer with than my .50 sidelock PRB is my Ruger 77 in 243. With a 100 grain partition I killed probably 20 deer in Wyoming. Never a problem. Id like to see it legal in Michigan too but I doubt it will happen. Either way Id probably use one of my Knight MZs for gun season. You guys turned me. 😀
The 243 is such an awesome performer on deer. It would easily be my first choice but I’m not holding my breath

I’m glad you caught the ML bug though 😁

Greg

All the years I hunted Wyoming I had several fellow hunters say someday I would be sorry using a 243 Win. Left a little doubt in the back of my mind. The gun was always in my truck and accounted for maybe 30-50 woodchucks a year. With 70 grain TNTs and a mild dose of powder. Shot a lot of paper too. I shot it so much over the years I had to have it rebarreled.

Anyway I never recovered a bullet and always had a good blood trail. Some of my fellow hunters eventually turned to the 243. Same ones I convinced you don't need a 12 gauge to kill pheasants. A 20 works fine and is much lighter to carry. But I digress,

Back