Lyman, great customer service!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flteng

Reaction score
I called Lyman to speak with a tech rep about their rifles. I was trying to decide between two of their rifles; the GPR and the deer stalker. The short of it is the customer service people and the tech rep went did a tremendous job helping me make the decision based on what I was doing, and because I was already shooting a TC Hawken I didn't want to duplicate rifles. I went with the deer stalker. Not often you get customer service like that. There was once another American company I was a die hard fan for until they were sold and when I made some contact with them it was very obvious these were not the same people that I had been dealing with before. I stopped buying their product. To me support after the sale counts.

See if you're that happy when/if you want them to fix a problem with a faulty product. Most of the time they say, "Tough."
I had a problem with a sizing die that was not to spec. They just ignored my letter and e-mails.
On other forums I have read similar things.

Muley I thought about it but this one is being used to hunt with and carry a lot. Thought about the GPR and may still get one to play with at the range. I Have a TCX Hawken in .54 and that is a heavy gun to carry all day.

I bought a Deerstalker for the same reason. It's fairly handy and not heavy at all (~7.5 lbs). I chose it between a Pedersoli Country Hunter and Traditions Deerhunter. For my first muzzleloader I wanted one that could handle most hunting situations. 

The Pedersoli was very light and I wasn't sure what recoil would be like. I was also unsure of that curved buttstock. 

The Traditions looks a little cheesy and I wondered about the quality. 

I liked the recoil pad, again unsure about the recoil, as well as the fiber optic sights as I've had problems with the sights at dusk from a tree blind.

As far as recoil I thought I'd need modern bullets and sabots to kill stuff as the BC's and sectional densities are about nil with a ball. But I've been swayed and intend on using PRB's out to 100 yds once I find an accurate load. It's nearly broken in now.

I'd likely use a conical if I were to want to hunt anything really big as it's a .50 cal. I have some 320 grn REALs to try out.

flteng said:
Muley I thought about it but this one is being used to hunt with and carry a lot. Thought about the GPR and may still get one to play with at the range. I Have a TCX Hawken in .54 and that is a heavy gun to carry all day.
It's not as bad as you first think. I hunted with a GPR twice, and i'm an old fart. It doesn't weigh anymore than a lot of scoped CF guns.

Another perk of the GPR is it tames the recoil better.

With that said. The Deerstalker is a nice gun.

Have to modify my opinion. Seems that Lyman is all to willing to help when you want to by a product, but if you are having problems or do not get the items you ordered, Oh well sucks to be you.

I had a good experience with Lyman. I bought a GPR that was having a problem with the lock, and maybe the trigger. I say maybe, because it was hard to pinpoint where the problem was.

I called them up, and the problem was beyond whoever answered the phone. So, they transferred me to the gunsmith. He was a really cool guy, and we talked about all sort of things besides my problem. He ended up sending me another lock and trigger, and never asked for my old parts.

It would be hard to convince me that their CS isn't any good. You have to sweet talk them a bit though. Don't ever sound pissed off when you talk to any CS. It will get you nothing. Fool around and get them laughing is much better.

Latest posts

Back