• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Modern Muzzleloader and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

FOR SALE lyman hawken 54cal. percusion rifle {rh}

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyss

Reaction score
i have a
lyman hawken 54cal rifle ..kit gun made back in the 70s. {rh}
barrel is stamped 50cal for some reason but it is 54cal as i have
hunted with it..brass patch box and hardware with double set trigger nice walnut..shoots patched round ball very good..beautiful rifle with bright bore..$370.00 tyd from rhode island...thanks for looking

Attachments

• IMG_1141.JPG
    IMG_1141.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1142.JPG
    IMG_1142.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1143.JPG
    IMG_1143.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1144.JPG
    IMG_1144.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_1146.JPG
    IMG_1146.JPG
    54.1 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 133
Last edited:
a pond doing some research this is a plains rifle not a hawken.it is right hand i am left handed..trade for encore barrel to...for some reason i can not edit
clean out screw is not rusted in.
{1} box of round ball.====speer .530 lead ball 100count
{1} box of =======54 cal hornady great plains 425grain conical bullets 20count

Last edited:
It probably was a .50 cal when first bought and the barrel got pitted/rusted ,so the owner had it bored out to a .54 instead of having a liner put in it.
It's on the same frame as a Lyman Trade Rifle.

Have you measured the barrel. A plains rifle should be 32". Do you know how much it weighs? One last request. Can you shoulder it left handed and tell if the sights line up. They should since you're a lefty and said you hunted with it. I just want to make sure.

Edit.........I looked at the pictures again. It's not a plains rifle. Butt plate is wrong and it has just one wedge key. It's a Trade Rifle. It sold for much less. It should be a 28" barrel. No idea of twist since it was rebored. Originally, it was 1-48. Plains would have been 1-60 or 1-66 if was old enough.

Last edited:
Have you measured the barrel. A plains rifle should be 32". Do you know how much it weighs? One last request. Can you shoulder it left handed and tell if the sights line up. They should since you're a lefty and said you hunted with it. I just want to make sure.

Edit.........I looked at the pictures again. It's not a plains rifle. Butt plate is wrong and it has just one wedge key. It's a Trade Rifle. It sold for much less. It should be a 28" barrel. No idea of twist since it was rebored. Originally, it was 1-48. Plains would have been 1-60 or 1-66 if was old enough.
I have a Plains Rifle I bought new in 1976 or 77. Looks identical to the one.

I'm very interested in this rifle along with the round balls. Also, it's really important, the length of the barrel is very helpful. Looks like a beautiful piece. Thanks, Steve

Latest posts

Back