m77 mkII rifle project

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n8dawg6

Reaction score
this is a ruger m77 mkII, stainless, purchased about 11 years ago. it had the old school zytel stock, and an old redfield tracker scope that had already broken once. i wanted to put a new bell & carlson synthetic stock on it, and a nikon monarch 3-9x40 scope. here's how she looks after completion of the project:

m77.jpg

took the rifle to the range the other day to try some handloads. i was using remington brass and primers, and hornady spirepoint 130 grain bullets. powder was hodgdon 4831sc. the only variable was the weight of the powder charge. shooting was done at my local range, at the 100 meter range (bout 109 yds. for those of us who had to look dat up ) i fired 4-shot groups, mainly cause i ran out of spirepoints. results were as follows:

59.0 grains powder: 1.6" ctc
59.5 grains powder: 1.1" ctc
60.0 grains powder: 3.0" ctc

man . . . this rifle is finnicky! but that 59.5 grain load is fantastic for a sporter rifle, and its exactly what i was trying to achieve with this rifle. i was pleased. gonna have to do something about the trigger, though, its awful. i was really fighting with the trigger, trying not to make the crosshairs move.

the stock was very solid on sandbags. very good stock, although if you paid twice as much you could get something better (mcmillan or HS).

the scope is fantastic. bright and clear. i was really impressed.

now i have to work on my older m77 in 7mm mauser. it's shooting 3 shots into 1.75-2.00" at the same range. thats not bad . . . but its not good either. some load development is in order. also, the stock on that rifle is wood, and i wonder if that has anything to do with it.

(btw, i apologize to any of yall who have seen dis already :D )

Hey Dawg, that's a nice lookin' Ruger you've got there now! I really like the looks of that spider web stock! :yeah: You done good!!! :applause:

Looking good! I have a Ruger M77 All Weather 30-06 that a swapped stocks and used a Hogue "over moulded" stock. I have a Swarovski 3-10X42 on it. It's really my go to whitetail rifle when not muzzleloading which is never these days! :D Shoots great with a 150gr Speer SP and AA-4350.... :D

I have a KM77mk II in .30-06 that originally came with a laminated stock. This made the rifle too heavy for my preferences. I ordered the new design synthetic stock from Ruger and I'm now happy with it. It cut almost 8 oz off the weight of the rifle. I also had a trigger job done on it. It is now my "foul weather" gun. I have a Leupold Vari-X II on it. It's now light enough, and shoots accurately.

Back