Made Meat Late in the 4th Quarter

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB

Reaction score
Jan. 31 is the last day of deer season in Alabama. Today is the last day of the 2nd ML season. In hopes of getting one more for the freezer, I carried my Knight .50 to the woods this past Saturday.

A buddy and I went to one of his spots that I hadn't been to since Christmas. I climbed the same tree that I was in the last time, and a little before 9:00 I glanced behind me and saw a movement. Closer scrutiny showed that it was a small buck. I waited a couple of minutes, hoping that something a bit more substansial would come through. After giving up on a bigger deer I put the cross-hairs behind the shoulder and squeezed the trigger. The deer ran in a kind-of semi-cicle for about 100 yds., and actually expired within 25 yds. of my tree. It was a double-lung shot at about 75 yds. The 295 gr. Powerbelt got full penetration and did the job. I push it with 100 gr. of loose Pyrodex. That's the third deer taken with the Knight and Powerbelt, two with full penetration.

Now the bad part. After I had field dressed the little buck, I walked back to where he was standing when I shot him. There were three fresh rubs, the largest being on a cedar about 8" in diameter. MY little buck couldn't have even gotten his rack around it!! I showed Billy and helped him put up a blind watching that end of the property, and vowed not to go back until next year.

Now the good part...fresh tenderloin tonight!!!

Congrats. on getting your deer and ending your season in a fine fashion. :yeah:

Not over yet.

I've still got this weekend and next Wednesday. I managed to squeeze another day of vacation out of my boss. It's buck-only from now till the 31'st. I could use a couple more hind-quarters, but I hate to think about another small buck. I took a four-pointer right at Christmas, but only because someone had already blown one of his legs off.

small bucks are better eating then them big devils anyway... congratulations.

Back