My 7 ga. Smooth Bore

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCS

Reaction score
Just took a picture of my 7 ga. ball setting next to a 32 and a 50 cals.

170FF launches this big ball at 1100 fps, out of my stainless Unerhammer.

It will shoot fist sized groups at fifty yards.

I added some lead to the stock, and it still only is 10.1/2 lbs.

And...........I have shot a deer with it!

Looked like a golf ball made the exit!

7gaBall.jpg

Probably looked like a golf ball made the entrance too! You know I am not really into the older stuff, but I think I like that 7 gauge just for the pure audacity of it ! Would love to see a pic of the gun and hear more about it!

It stared out as a piece of seamless tubing. :idea:

I spent two nights lapping the rough bore with a homemade setup. There is still one small pit in the bore, but OH Well!

The stock is laminated to a half inch of aluminum, connecting to the stainless rceiver. I has a sissy recoil pad. It is not a pretty gun, but it shoots quite well.

I had it up to the Crump Fox and Gun Club for some of thr boys to shoot. They were impressed by the broomstick sized ram rod. :eek:

After the days shooting, I poured in the last shot of the pound of power, there was just a smidgen exta.............40-50 grains or so............... :shock:

My spring action temples on my glasses, were all that was holding then onto my nose. I had to look up and push them back on!!!!!!!! :roll:

They told me I hit the stump that was my target! :?

When I proof tested it..........I tied it to a tire behind a group of trees and pulled the string to the trigger! :twisted:

I have pictures:

The Bore shot:
7gaBar.jpg

The Stainless Receiver:
7gaRec.jpg

Walnut laminated to a 1/2" aluminum plate:
7gaStock.jpg

That really is a chunk of lead that thing is throwing down range.. I would hate to be on either end of that beast... very nice.

There is no hard KICK, just one long push! :D

It is just a 22LR shooting a 1000 grain bullet! :roll:

If you ever ran out of bullets I suppose you could always shoot "D" batteries!

I have been playing with bird shot loads...........and I find that coin wrappers make good shot cups. I bought some nito cars, wads and over the shot cards, and have been testing loads. I have shot up most of ten pounds of copper plated #6 shot. I find, when in doubt, add more shot! :roll:
2006-02-15-turkey.jpg

The wadding also hit the target, it can blow holes in your pattern as it tries to pass the shot. I need to do a little experimenting on the wads, maybe cut some Xs in them, so that they fly apart........or?

that's still an impressive pattern on the shot.. What distance was that and what kind of powder charge are you pushing in there?

In my .62 smoothbore I shoot 80 grains Goex 2f and 100 grains of #6 shot. I consider it a 30 yard gun is all.

I bet with the right amount of tweaking, you can get it to pattern very well. I was wondering if you could use it, legally, on turkey in your part of the nation? I don't think it is legit in the Bay State.

The MI. Turkey rules only state 'muzzleloading shotgun'. As far as I have read, it is OK, but there may be some fine print, that I haven't seen.

7ga-target-3-11-06.jpg

I have been honing a jug choke to the barrel and wanted to see how it affects the accuracy of a RB................not much that I can tell.

The Bull is 4" and todays three shots are in the same place, the two from a week ago are a little to the right at 35yds.

That is some nice shooting there. That's the way rifles are supposed to shoot. Did I read that picture right... 170 grains of powder?

cayuga said:
That is some nice shooting there. That's the way rifles are supposed to shoot. Did I read that picture right... 170 grains of powder?

Yes, just a nice mild load, it doesn't start to KICK till you reach 250FF.

WHOA!!! 10 1/2lbs,, my 8 bore(rifled} weighs in at 13lbs and with 300 grain charge of FFG, it will rattle the fillings in your head,

Back