My Bear cave.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
.45er....the bear is actually a member of the pig family and its meat is generally good. I can make a bear roast and everyone would think it was beef. Bear chops baked with cream of mushroom soup is delicious. They come out super tender and the soup over mashed potatoes....mmmmm
Plus, if you get one in the fall, you have all that fat to render down for lube!!

Here in Maine we hunt bears from late summer through November. They fatten up on wild berries all summer and their meat tastes like a sweet beef. I’ve read on some forums where someone said it wasn’t any good or it tastes like pork. Only thing I can think of is that they didn’t process the meat fast enough or just was bs’ing people. Maybe some old bear eating garbage from a dump might taste like pork but I never experienced it.

Very tastey, sweet eating meat. I usually grind most of mine for bear burgers. Do not let them sit around for hours after killing, the faster you get them skinned and cooled the better the meat…

I never had an opportunity to taste bear meat. Am I missing something?
It’s a excellent sweet tasting meat. In fact I like it better than venison. Maybe in states that allow spring hunts the meat is not as good but I’m not sure because I only hunt bear in autumn.

It’s a excellent sweet tasting meat. In fact I like it better than venison. Maybe in states that allow spring hunts the meat is not as good but I’m not sure because I only hunt bear in autumn.
That's what I was wondering as well. If you are what you eat autumn bear meat may be tastier. I would think bear having a more vegetarian farm corn/acorn diet would make for a tasty bear. 🤔

I never had an opportunity to taste bear meat. Am I missing something?
I've had black bear a few times, in a roast form it was stringy & greasy, very dark meat. I've had it a few ways, some of it was very good & some pretty nasty. Texas style chili with bear meat I had was really really good & I'm not a big chili fan. I had it ground & mixed with ground beef in burgers on the grill that was pretty tasty.

A friend of mine hunts them here in Oregon. He says the meat is too sweet for anything but sausage.

I had it a couple of times as a teenager when my dad shot one. Mostly steaks and roasts. It stayed red no matter how long you cooked it.

Walt

Latest posts

Back