My funny story of the 2015 season

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-Duster

Reaction score
Thought I would share this will yall. The day before the 3 in 27 minute deal I was hunting the same food plot blind that morning. The wind kept swirling and I didn't see the usual number of deer. I got the idea to make myself a wind direction indicator, had one of those 4 ft tall green garden stakes. Tied a flag on the end and when I went back for the evening hunt stuck it in the ground 25 yards or so out in front. Had a large doe come in the food plot, at around 50 yards away took aim and let one fly. Deer goes out of there but showed no sign of being hit. Thought that was strange I never miss at that range. Once the smoke cleared I noticed the green garden stake, I had shot that thing near in half. No telling where that bullet went but I still spent near a hour looking without luck for that first drop of blood.

I showed this picture to one of my hunting friends and all he said was.....that was one hell of a shot, not everyone can shoot a 1/2 inch rod into at 25 yards with a ML and not even be aiming at it.... :prayer:

I feel your pain T Duster. Can't say I've ever shot a wind marker but I've shot my share of saplings that I though would never be in the way. :(

No such thing as a shot that's impossible to miss while hunting. I have had a couple unexplained misses over the years on what I'd call chip shots. At least you have photographic evidence.

Don't worry about a miss.

An old timer told me years ago when I was a kid and missed a shot, "There is more room around them than what they take up."

Redsky said:
Don't worry about a miss.

An old timer told me years ago when I was a kid and missed a shot, "There is more room around them than what they take up."
Naw just had to sit there shake my head and laugh once I seen what I had done. Made up for it the next morning with 3 antlerless in 27 minutes for the food bank project.

T-Duster said:
Naw just had to sit there shake my head and laugh once I seen what I had done. Made up for it the next morning with 3 antlerless in 27 minutes for the food bank project.

Had something similar happen several years ago, I did get the buck and thankfully he was DRT and not wounded. After he dropped I walked up and saw 2 holes in him. One close to where I aimed and one up in the neck. :shock: :huh?: I was like what the heck did that as I only shot one time. Turned around as saw a large hole in a 4" diameter tree I had just walked by. :shock: :d'oh!: Still have no idea how I did that, but like you I just started laughing and thinking that Knights lead bullet must be pretty hard.

Latest posts

Back