Fishing, Turkey, Fishing, Turkey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snapbang

Imlay City Michigan
Supporting member
Reaction score
Been struggling all week to figure out if I wanted to go turkey hunting or fishing this morning. Well, I could hear the chimes playing when I got up so thought it cold to stand in the wind and fish. So I got out my trusty 410 and headed out to my deer blind. There was a little light so I set out the 3 decoys 5 yards from my blind and got in. Turned on the heat and enjoyed my coffee while thinking of the pleasures being out here hunting. About 1/2 hour after getting in one of my windows fell closed with an awful sound. Figured my hunting just got boogered for the next 30 minutes so closed my eyes and wondered what fish may be happy I wasn't there this morning. Ever so faintly in the distance I did hear gobbles occasionally so I was optimistic.

About 7:30 I see black at the west end of the property. Sure enough there is a turkey. I get out my binoculars and its a nice Tom with beard a swaying and he sees the decoys. Hes coming in hot and 4 hens are with him. I hadn't loaded my gun this morning so I popped in a 3" #6 and started the barrel out the window ever so slowly. He came straight in and fanned at 12-15 yards. Turned his back while doing so. Got a bit better shooting position while waiting for a frontal shot and in a second he was perfect. Aimed a few inches below his head and dropped him like a rock. He flapped a couple times but no concerns about him getting a second wind and leaving.

Not quite 10 inches. 9 7/8 but not 10. Spurs 1 inch.

1st selfy so sorry about the quality.

IMG_3730 - Copy.JPGIMG_3730.JPGIMG_3731.JPG

Last edited:
Just as an FYI, there are phone stands and Bluetooth remotes that make taking selfie glamour shots so much easier.

Been struggling all week to figure out if I wanted to go turkey hunting or fishing this morning. Well, I could hear the chimes playing when I got up so thought it cold to stand in the wind and fish. So I got out my trusty 410 and headed out to my deer blind. There was a little light so I set out the 3 decoys 5 yards from my blind and got in. Turned on the heat and enjoyed my coffee while thinking of the pleasures being out here hunting. About 1/2 hour after getting in one of my windows fell closed with an awful sound. Figured my hunting just got boogered for the next 30 minutes so closed my eyes and wondered what fish may be happy I wasn't there this morning. Ever so faintly in the distance I did hear gobbles occasionally so I was optimistic.

About 7:30 I see black at the west end of the property. Sure enough there is a turkey. I get out my binoculars and its a nice Tom with beard a swaying and he sees the decoys. Hes coming in hot and 4 hens are with him. I hadn't loaded my gun this morning so I popped in a 3" #6 and started the barrel out the window ever so slowly. He came straight in and fanned at 12-15 yards. Turned his back while doing so. Got a bit better shooting position while waiting for a frontal shot and in a second he was perfect. Aimed a few inches below his head and dropped him like a rock. He flapped a couple times but no concerns about him getting a second wind and leaving.

View attachment 43570View attachment 43571View attachment 43572
Congrats on a fantastic bird

View attachment 43570View attachment 43571View attachment 43572
Didn't you know you can't kill'em with a .410!!
🤣🤣

Back