My new TC Hawken 45

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole Creek Boy

Reaction score
I picked up a .45 cal TC Hawken today in excellent condition. It is a 112XXX serial number with no gun name on the barrel. It has the clean out at the nipple and the holes for the tang sight. I normally shoot a 50 cal Renegade, Thunder Hawk or a Knight American but am planning on hunting with this one this ml season. I have 2f Goex and some Pyrdex RS and wondering what loads and bullets either RPB or conicals that I should pick up to shoot. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20231007_165646.jpg
    20231007_165646.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231007_155843.jpg
    20231007_155843.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231007_155836.jpg
    20231007_155836.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Beautiful rifle. I’d try TC maxi-ball and 70to 80 grains of Goex.

Track of the Wolf Muzzleloading carries TC Maxi balls in 45 caliber. 245 grains, I believe. Unlubed.
If you use those or a round ball, I recommend getting some 50 caliber cushion wads, lubed or dry, for over the powder.
I only shoot ball out of my 45. My best load is 10 grains Goex 3f under 50 grains of Triple 7 3f.

My best load is 10 grains Goex 3f under 50 grains of Triple 7 3f.
Wow, I've never heard of stacking the different powders. The overall load seems low too.

I'm running a single powder load of 80 grains of Pyrodex RS on an inline .50 cal.

I'm new, and didn't intend to hijack the thread, but I find this intriguing.

Wow, I've never heard of stacking the different powders. The overall load seems low too.

I'm running a single powder load of 80 grains of Pyrodex RS on an inline .50 cal.

I'm new, and didn't intend to hijack the thread, but I find this intriguing.
Don't forget that I'm talking about a 45 caliber traditional sidelock rifle, using a patched round ball.
Popular loads are usually 50 to 70 grains of powder by volume.

I have some 3f and was considering using about 10g of it and about 50g of pyrodex with round patched ball. Will also try it with conicals that I get. Hope to be ready for deer season here in a month. Thanks to all

I have some 3f and was considering using about 10g of it and about 50g of pyrodex with round patched ball. Will also try it with conicals that I get. Hope to be ready for deer season here in a month. Thanks to
Best get started, if you run into the same thing i have with my Hawken. It may take a full month to get it on target at 50 yds.

I picked up a .45 cal TC Hawken today in excellent condition. It is a 112XXX serial number with no gun name on the barrel. It has the clean out at the nipple and the holes for the tang sight. I normally shoot a 50 cal Renegade, Thunder Hawk or a Knight American but am planning on hunting with this one this ml season. I have 2f Goex and some Pyrdex RS and wondering what loads and bullets either RPB or conicals that I should pick up to shoot. Any help is appreciated.
Mine is circa 1976. Added a pair of Lee Shaver sights(Vernier and globe) with Hadley cup for my 72 yo eyes. I shoot only PRB using mostly pre lubed patches(Lazy and they work) over 70 gr of Pyrodex Select R/S or real BP 2f by volume. Old timer told me in 1977 to load 1.5 times the caliber for number of grains of BP. That would be 67.5 gr so 70 gr easier to measure and it works. I live in "da UP" and woods/brush heavy so most shots 50 yards or less. At 50 yards I get 7/8" groups routinely. I have tried Maxi's and REAL's but with those get an occasional flyer. The 1:48 inch twist seems to love PRB's.

Mine is circa 1976. Added a pair of Lee Shaver sights(Vernier and globe) with Hadley cup for my 72 yo eyes. I shoot only PRB using mostly pre lubed patches(Lazy and they work) over 70 gr of Pyrodex Select R/S or real BP 2f by volume. Old timer told me in 1977 to load 1.5 times the caliber for number of grains of BP. That would be 67.5 gr so 70 gr easier to measure and it works. I live in "da UP" and woods/brush heavy so most shots 50 yards or less. At 50 yards I get 7/8" groups routinely. I have tried Maxi's and REAL's but with those get an occasional flyer. The 1:48 inch twist seems to love PRB's.
Your a yoooooper! I live in the lower. Did you shoot your trap door yet? X

Latest posts

Back