New member from Montana looking for advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdorval

Reaction score
New member here from Montana. I'm a full time hunting guide that's been around muzzleloaders most of my life but looking to add a Hawken style since I may actually have time to hunt in the heritage season here in Montana. I'm pretty excited about it! Any advice on the Hawken style percussions is welcome as they are new to me! I'd really like to set one up with an adjustable tang peep sight, looking likely to a 50 cal so it would be Colorado legal for a backup for clients even though it seems the 45 cal gets a lot of recommendations. I handled a traditions at Scheels the other day and just don't really like how it fits me personally and also wonder if the short tang would be an issue with a peep sight like I'm shooting for. I did handle a TC 45 cal that pointed very natural for me the other day but it seemed priced high for an older rifle that was in just ok condition and it was also a 45 cal. I suppose one could buy a barrel as well.

Thanks
TJ

Does anyone have any experience with the Lyman trade rifle in 50? I just found a few still for sale new at $442 and I’m very tempted.

Many of the old Thompson Center rifles are going for big money these days but that's not to say deals can't be found.
Some vintage CVA guns are usually priced lower and some good models are out there. The CVA Mountain Rifle is a good one.

I would seriously look at a TC Renegade in a 50 cal. If you want to get into casting your own bullets I would get the accurate molds 50-415I mold. You would also need to purchase a Lee .501 sizing die.

I would seriously look at a TC Renegade in a 50 cal. If you want to get into casting your own bullets I would get the accurate molds 50-415I mold. You would also need to purchase a Lee .501 sizing die.
I've been looking around at all the local pawn shops and gun shops but haven't had any luck. Have you had a lyman trade rifle to compare to by chance? 1-48 twist just a single trigger, hooked breech so easy to clean from what ive read good reviews. Lyman has the 57 gpr sight available right now as well.

Lyman's have been a very good Brand n several of them have the 1:48. Also the Hunter i think 1:28. I was on GB yesterday n the prices will give you a nose-bleed they are so high

Lyman's have been a very good Brand n several of them have the 1:48. Also the Hunter i think 1:28. I was on GB yesterday n the prices will give you a nose-bleed they are so high
That’s good to hear. I’m strongly considering a Lyman trade rifle as I can get one new for 442 vs a used renegade for somewhere between that price and 800 it seems. The Lyman I’m looking at has the 1-48 twist which would be good since I’d hope to shoot conicals.

Is casting your own worth it from a performance stand point or more of a savings over time? I’ve never been around anyone that’s cast we’ve always used off the shelf options like the maxi ball, thors, hpg etc.

Does anyone have any experience with the Lyman trade rifle in 50? I just found a few still for sale new at $442 and I’m very tempted.
Welcome from the Oregon Territory!

We've got a new member in our ML club who shoots this rifle. He prefers a single trigger. I haven't held it or looked down the barrel so I can't tell you more than that.

A decent used T/C was about $350 on the Auction sites. Higher prices are most likely due to them being no longer in production and being made in the USA! They were designed to add a peep.

Good Luck1

Walt

As far as cost savings over time, it could be. But just think of the satisfaction you will get seeing great targets from the bullets you made and seeing game dropping like they were hit with the Hammer of Thor.

Saving while casting, that should be a great Marketing ploy. You could call a dividend n enjoyment factor. Buying lead n a decent lead pot melter n a mold is a nice side Hobby. I do that myself, i have half dz. molds mostly Lee REAL in .45/50/54. I have a .45 maxi in 220, rb in .440 n .445.

Sounds like casting is more for the enjoyment and satisfaction then, fair enough. I don’t have a ton of spare time at the moment so that will likely have to wait for a bit at least.

The Lyman Trade rifle is a quality piece. I had one in 54 cal and it shot lights out with a patched round ball. Two bull elk fell to that rifle. I liked that the butt plate was not as curved as some of the others. Not the prettiest gun out there but very functional. I also had the Lyman peep mounted on mine.

The Lyman Trade rifle is a quality piece. I had one in 54 cal and it shot lights out with a patched round ball. Two bull elk fell to that rifle. I liked that the butt plate was not as curved as some of the others. Not the prettiest gun out there but very functional. I also had the Lyman peep mounted on mine.
Good to hear it. It seems like a very functional set up. How was the single trigger?

54 with PRB is good medicine. This isn't a hawken obviously.
IMG_2295.jpg

Pedersoli make good hawkens, I've gad one in 54 and one in 50.
This is my 50 using Hornady Monoflex, worked well but I lost interest in bullets over balls.
20210816_083935.jpg

When I get over to the states and hunt MT or WY I'll probably take the 58 flint I'm having built over the above caplock.

Latest posts

Back