Need help with accuracy!

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
triggerhappy243 said:
CoHiCntry said:
Thanks! It's nice to have it shooting well going into the hunting seasons. Hopefully I can put some critters on the ground now!

i am curious. can you describe what your front sight looks like? My first renegade rifle had a squared front blade sight. I found I could never control the gaps on either side of the blade with the rear sight.

Trigger, did you end up getting a bead front sight for your Renegade? If not, and you would rather have a bead front sight i have several of them! Will gladly send you one, i shoot Lyman Globes with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts in every single one of my rifles, i just cant shoot regular open sights worth a hoot anymore. I found a deal awhile back at a Pawn shop, it was a box of Muzzleloader parts, all new stuff from a dealer/gunsmith, there are at Least 10-12 bead style fronts and some blade types in this box, plus the ones i have taken off all of my rifles, so i have PLENTY of both Styles. Even a Flintlock hammer in here, springs, screws, wedge keys, etc. etc. etc. Most all of it in sealed packages and appears to be all TC stuff

triggerhappy243 said:
CoHiCntry said:
Thanks! It's nice to have it shooting well going into the hunting seasons. Hopefully I can put some critters on the ground now!

i am curious. can you describe what your front sight looks like? My first renegade rifle had a squared front blade sight. I found I could never control the gaps on either side of the blade with the rear sight.

Sorry for the delayed reply, haven't been on here for awhile... My front sight is as you describe. Square front blade type. I've had no issues getting it lined up with the rear site.

my first t/c barrel had this sight. and their was a lot to be desired with the dimensions of the blade vs. the rear sight notch. you can see daylight on either side of the front blade while aiming. and my groups would string horizontal.. next barrel had an actual bead front sight. groups tightened up nicely.

triggerhappy243 said:
my first t/c barrel had this sight. and their was a lot to be desired with the dimensions of the blade vs. the rear sight notch. you can see daylight on either side of the front blade while aiming. and my groups would string horizontal.. next barrel had an actual bead front sight. groups tightened up nicely.

I am like you trigger, i never did like blade style front sight like a bead. But As a young kid i started out with a blade type front sight on an air gun, i was quite efficient with it up until I finally wore the rifle out, from then on i shot a bead style front sight with a small notched rear sight. I have picked up several rifles over the years that have the blade and I simply don't like them, BUT its all in what you get you use to. I now shoot peep sights on all of my open sight guns, I personally can't imagine going back to regular open sights at this point (be it bead, or blade) i can shoot these peeps with Lee Shavers BPCR inserts just about like a scope, The biggest problem i see with these peep sights is low light conditions, its gonna be a booger and that's just that! My dad has always been a really good open sight shooter, I remember he always preferred a bead style front sight, but he could shoot a blade just as well with a little practice, Again its what you get use to

if I can get new glasses before winter sets in, i know i can continue to shoot tight groups. the bead front sight affords me a more precise sight picture, plus, i size the bullseye of the target so the front sight just covers the out line of the bull.

triggerhappy243 said:
i size the bullseye of the target so the front sight just covers the out line of the bull.

Right here is KEY! Just like me shooting 500 yards with my .45 Cal Hotrod Hawken, NO WAY ON EARTH could i do this with a normal size target, i used a sheet of cardboard that was 3ft wide, by 4ft tall and was painted solid white, for a Bullseye i used a piece of common printer paper 9x11 painted solid black, but in the end i really couldn't make out the Bullseye, but i was able to hold the Lee Shavers finest bead BPCR insert in the middle of the entire target, and i was able to repeat this over n over. Accuracy will never be great if you are not seeing the EXACT same sight picture each time, in other words its TOUGH to hit what you CAN'T see!!

I have guns with both types of sights. To be honest I've never noticed much difference in them and never favored one versus the other. I will say having the fiber optics on my Knight U-Lite I like better than the non fiber optic sights on my side lock!

CoHiCntry said:
I have guns with both types of sights. To be honest I've never noticed much difference in them and never favored one versus the other. I will say having the fiber optics on my Knight U-Lite I like better than the non fiber optic sights on my side lock!

A fiber optic bead for hunting is gonna be hard to beat!! I have a williams fire bead fibre optic front sight on one of my TC Scout .54 Barrels and i really like it!! For targets i swear by these tiny fine bead Lee Shaver BPCR inserts, I can hold in the center of a milk jug sized target at 100 yards and stil see all around it, pretty amazing!!

Thank you for correcting that bubba! I did have the Pyrodex wrong and that is a BIG DEAL! I don't shoot the stuff and never have, and probably never will. I just know I've read to NEVER think volume to weight grains are equal, and especially so with Pyrodex. I have found it to be really close with Real Black powder, BUT i stil check weigh from my volume measure to my beam scale just to make DARN sure!

Weighing on a beam scale might seem ridiculous to some? But in fact it is extremely simple to do, takes me just a few minutes to pre weigh my charges the night before, when i get ready to load I don't have to fumble around with a volume measure, and its inconsistencies, Ive heard some claim that it doesnt matter? Just get it close is good enough, those guys are backyard hit a pie plate, maybe a haybale and they are happy type fellas. I am exactly the opposite, i want everything as near dead on as i can possibly make them, i dont just wanna hit a milk jug at 100 yards, i wanna hit the Cap of the milk jug! My shooting shows that being picky pays off for me
Been weighing my BP for years and that's number one for accuracy! You are 100% correct with your advice!

Latest posts

Back