need some advice

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tweesdad

Reaction score
Hi to all.
I have just been granted permission to hunt a farm I have been after for years. Huge deer population, and numerous large bucks on the property. That's the good news.
The situation is, that the closest shot I will be able to take is about 60 yards, The longest is about 90.
Here's the problem. Due to the layout of the property, there is an area that adjoins another farm that is no more than 40 yards from anywhere I can set up. Anything that makes it over the property line is lost. The owner will not permit anyone to enter his property for any reason. This leads me to ask the following question.
I am going to be using a .58 Renegade, and am planning to use a PRB in front of 100 gr. of 3f.
Based on your actual field experience, will a well placed shot anchor a large buck before he make it 40 yards onto the adjoining property? With my eyesight, I have no confidence that I can pull off a 60 + yard neck or spine shot. Punching through the lungs is no problem.
So, were you me, would you use the PRB, or go to a heavy conical to attempt to ensure that the critter does wind up winning the 40 yard dash I am trying to avoid.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

In a .58, I don't think an conical will give you any advantage over a ball. Go for a high shoulder shot, break some bones, and anchor the critter on the spot.

I agree with Semisane. Where I hunt its not that the landowner or the person next door is the problem.. its the terrain. When them deer run out into a tag alder bog and you have to go drag them out... you earn every pound of flesh on that deer. So I do a high shoulder shot and break them down. Granted, they lay there and squawk sometimes as they expire, and I have been known to then head shoot the does.

If they are close enough and your sure of your ability a neck or head shot puts them on the ground nice also. But that high shoulder shot plants them nice. I even do that with a bow and arrow and have dropped them in their tracks.

That load will hit like a 20 gauge slug! If you get in the shoulder it will be lights out.

i agree, a high shoulder shot stops most deer on the spot.
but like stated some times they do not die fast!
i have also had in the past had the cut a deer to finish it off.
and a high shot does ruin meat

"i agree, a high shoulder shot stops most deer on the spot.
but like stated some times they do not die fast!
i have also had in the past had the cut a deer to finish it off.
and a high shot does ruin meat"

True, but I'd rather loose a couple lbs of meat and recover the deer than no recovery at all.
I grind the whole front end of deer into burger anyway, and the part of the loin/backstrap that meets up at the shoulder is the smaller piece too.

as long as you hit the shoulder, it will drop right in its tracks. . .With that caliber, the weight of the ball is plenty

I took a nice buck in 2011 with a .565" PRB over 100gr fffg. It was a solid double lung shot and it ran about 35 yards before it fell over. Saturday I took another with a .605" PRB over 120gr fffg. It was quartering towards me and the impact was between the base of the neck and shoulder with the exit behind the opposite shoulder. He dropped like a rock!

excess650 said:
I took a nice buck in 2011 with a .565" PRB over 100gr fffg. It was a solid double lung shot and it ran about 35 yards before it fell over. Saturday I took another with a .605" PRB over 120gr fffg. It was quartering towards me and the impact was between the base of the neck and shoulder with the exit behind the opposite shoulder. He dropped like a rock!

I also shoot a 62 cal. .. .underhammer. .. . Those balls of mine weigh in around 327 grains. .. .made from wheel weights.

Latest posts

Back