New 400 Legend...thoughts?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a Winchester model 1910 years ago. Chambered in 401 WSL it is a powerful short to medium range round. A lot of fun to shoot and I did harvest one Whitetail doe, then all the way to the back of the safe. I still break it out once in a while. Your post has got me thinking about hunting with it again. Another good short range deer rifle is the Winchester model 1907, chambered in 351 WSL ( Winchester Self Loading ) Keeping the thought in mind, there both obsolete cartridges, so it is a hand loading proposition.

One other thought, the bullets are likely to slowly slide out of the case in a semi-auto rifle. The inertia in slamming in a fresh round to shoot can cause the heavier bullets to move forward. That is a annoying case with the .450 Bushmaster. You can’t play around with the rounds in a rifle checking the feeding too much. Slam the same round in a few times and the bullet has crept out on you. Granted the .450 BM has heavier bullets but the .400 L is close with its bullet weights. But then heck maybe the bullet weight is under that magic thresh hold for it to happen.

Hard to do a so-called pointy light weight bullet in a 35 cal bullet and get it to shoot accurately.
My gun like the 170 gn horaday best, but shoots most ammo ok. If you don’t like the selection of ammo fot the 350, my guess 400 will not be any better.
My 357 Max rifle and pistol likes Barnes 140gr XPB bullets. Both of them will stack'em in there. I want to try the Bear Creek Ballistics 140gr HV bullets in my pistol.

Latest posts

Back