Hunting Load Question - New Member

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jones50

Reaction score
Good Morning,

I am looking into hunting loads for most likely whitetail/pigs with the occasional axis and javelina in the mix. Most shots I expect to be within 100 yards but could on occasion stretch out to 250. I have an Accura V2 and currently I am looking at buying White Hots and 250gr PB Aerolite strictly based on the manual recommendation. Also looking at the PB ELR in 270gr. I have seen in some forums people saying PB's aren't necessarily the best option for "longer" range shooting. Quite frankly I'm not sure what long range means in muzzleloader terms as I have read posts of people taking elk at 400+ yards. I would like to stick to pellets and non sabot loads for simplicity but I am open to any and all recommendations. Of course there will be plenty of range time before I get the confidence to set aside the old 25-06.

Also what websites do ya'll prefer to use? Most of my searching has been on muzzle-loaders. Thanks!

Pellets are convenient but loose powder is more versatile. You can tweak your load in smaller increments to get the best accuracy. As for bullets you might want to consider Thors or Fury bullets if you don't want to go the sabot route. I recently tried the Powerbelt ELRs and I didn't get acceptable accuracy with them.

Good Morning,

I am looking into hunting loads for most likely whitetail/pigs with the occasional axis and javelina in the mix. Most shots I expect to be within 100 yards but could on occasion stretch out to 250. I have an Accura V2 and currently I am looking at buying White Hots and 250gr PB Aerolite strictly based on the manual recommendation. Also looking at the PB ELR in 270gr. I have seen in some forums people saying PB's aren't necessarily the best option for "longer" range shooting. Quite frankly I'm not sure what long range means in muzzleloader terms as I have read posts of people taking elk at 400+ yards. I would like to stick to pellets and non sabot loads for simplicity but I am open to any and all recommendations. Of course there will be plenty of range time before I get the confidence to set aside the old 25-06.

Also what websites do ya'll prefer to use? Most of my searching has been on muzzle-loaders. Thanks!
Hello, You might try Hornady Bore Buster’s. In my CVA Accura LRX the 290 Hornady Bore Buster shoots very accurately. They load easily. I’ve had good success with Barnes 290 tez saboted bullet as well. You have to try different bullets and powder loads to see what combo your gun prefers.

I’ve read good things about the Bore Busters but you can alway search this forum for previous discussions of good no sabot bullets.

Good Morning,

I like the PB ELR bullets. I get good accuracy from my CVA wolf. I am shooting the 330 gr 50 cal version with 84 gr by weight BH209. At 50 yards, I just shot a couple at the range to insure my scope was still on. Both holes were touching about an inch high from the bullseye. It's close where I hunt and visibility isn't above 50 yards anyway. I shot a nice bodied 4 pointer yesterday at around 45 to 50 yards. I have rarely seen something hit that hard. He went down hard and stayed there. No tracking necessary.

I like the PB ELR bullets. I get good accuracy from my CVA wolf. I am shooting the 330 gr 50 cal version with 84 gr by weight BH209. At 50 yards, I just shot a couple at the range to insure my scope was still on. Both holes were touching about an inch high from the bullseye. It's close where I hunt and visibility isn't above 50 yards anyway. I shot a nice bodied 4 pointer yesterday at around 45 to 50 yards. I have rarely seen something hit that hard. He went down hard and stayed there. No tracking necessary.
Congrats, before i shot saboted bullets I had no issues with PB bullets. I always shot the 245gr aerotip 50cals. still have some haven't shot any in a few years. I got better accuracy out of SST's but it really was minimal.

I have taken deer out to the 125-140 yard range(M-L), yes I realize another 50 yards is very doable. I know there are special situations with the shooter, gun, practice, & known range going much longer. I also know by a life of hunting many are reluctant to tell you about wounded & lost game.
For most hunters a 400 yard elk shot is sketchy with ANY rifle.

Where I hunt in IL, wounding a nice buck, or any deer is frowned upon. If the big buck is only out at 300 yards, I’ll have to try again the next day.

Latest posts

Back