New member from Australia - Intro and a question.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Kentucky

Reaction score
Hi All,
Just a quick intro, I'm from South Eastern Australia where I hunt Deer, Feral pigs, Wild dogs, Foxes, Rabbits, Ducks and Goats with a coventional rifle, shotgun and Bow. Recently I purchased a .45cal CVA Kentucky Rifle. The muzzle loading scene here is only small so I thought I would join up here to broaden my technical network. Currently shooting round balls, but I am wondering about cast conicals, I can get some .440 diameters, my groove diameter is .457. Am I able to shoot these using a lubed patch?

Thanks.

There aren't a lot of us, but we do exist.

What part of the country are you in?

I shoot round balls so not much help. You may be able to paper patch them but you might be better casting your own. Or just sticking to PRB.

He’s no longer on the forum but check out some of IdahoLewis’ threads. He developed some nice designs for conicals.

I’m western Vic.

Are you going to do some hunting with the ML?

I pretty much only use flinters and round balls these days. They do a good job on deer sized game.

I will definitely be chasing Fallow and potentially Sambar with the ML, maybe a pig if the opportunity presents.
I will have a look at those threads you suggested.
Cheers.

Welcome from Oregon by way of Hawaii. On conventional black power I shoot patched round ball which is accurate.

Hollow point, 4.5mm dia, 10mm deep, overall height was 15.5mm weight went 246 grains, but I do have a few mods to make to the mould

Welcome from Missouri. I also use only round balls in my rifle. Wanting to step up into Minnie balls when I get some more experience under my belt.

Back