new member from New Jersey

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 30913

Reaction score
Just a note to say, "Hello!" I do a lot of hunting and fishing and just got into muzzleloaders. I'm a member over at New Jersey Woods and Water ... I had some questions I asked over there and someone mentioned I should take a look at Modern Muzzleloader forums for answers, so here I am! :wave

I'm getting into muzzleloading because now that NJ has re-instituted the black bear hunt, I want to do some firearm bear hunts in the "early" bear season we have here (a week in October), the first few days is bow-only but the last few days they allow muzzleloaders. So I have a CVA Optima V2 and am experimenting with different pellets/powders and bullets to get ready.

I'm also looking to maybe get into traditional hunting with flintlocks. NJ doesn't allow squirrel hunting with modern .22 rifles (except air guns) but they do have a special season/zone for squirrel hunting with muzzleloaders. So I'm seriously thinking about getting a .36 flintlock for some squirrelin'... I'm a lefty; it's hard to find left-handed flintlocks, especially the lower caliber guns, but I talked to the muzzle-loaders.com guys and they said they should be getting some of left-handed lower caliber flintlocks from Italy by end of year. So that's potentially my next project. I'll need to save up some more $$$ for that.

Anyway, that's why I'm here. I'll create a couple new threads for some questions I have.

Thanks!

Just a note to say, "Hello!" I do a lot of hunting and fishing and just got into muzzleloaders. I'm a member over at New Jersey Woods and Water ... I had some questions I asked over there and someone mentioned I should take a look at Modern Muzzleloader forums for answers, so here I am! :wave

I'm getting into muzzleloading because now that NJ has re-instituted the black bear hunt, I want to do some firearm bear hunts in the "early" bear season we have here (a week in October), the first few days is bow-only but the last few days they allow muzzleloaders. So I have a CVA Optima V2 and am experimenting with different pellets/powders and bullets to get ready.

I'm also looking to maybe get into traditional hunting with flintlocks. NJ doesn't allow squirrel hunting with modern .22 rifles (except air guns) but they do have a special season/zone for squirrel hunting with muzzleloaders. So I'm seriously thinking about getting a .36 flintlock for some squirrelin'... I'm a lefty; it's hard to find left-handed flintlocks, especially the lower caliber guns, but I talked to the muzzle-loaders.com guys and they said they should be getting some of left-handed lower caliber flintlocks from Italy by end of year. So that's potentially my next project. I'll need to save up some more $$$ for that.

Anyway, that's why I'm here. I'll create a couple new threads for some questions I have.

Thanks!
Question does Jersey have a max on caliber for squirrel? I use what I brung/includes my 54/Ed

Welcome. I see you took my advice. If you don't get many responses from the thread, do searches on topics you are looking for.

Back