New to modern muzzleloaders

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruce in WV

Reaction score
I'm a retired guy with time on his hands exploring a new interest.
I'm a long-time flintlock and percussion muzzleloader shooter. I also shoot modern smokeless centerfire and rimfire rifles, and want to add modern black powder rifles. I'm starting to learn about them by rebuilding a badly abused American Knight, which is going well, so far.
I'm going to have fun with this and expect to learn a lot from the experts here. It's good to be here.

Thanks for the greetings.
Fun times ahead: I don't feel like a new guy in this sport any more.
The old rifle I'm using to learn a little about modern muzzleloading graduated from the complete rebuild this morning at the range. Its an "old guy plinking load", so I'll have to continue working to develop the hunting load for this Fall.
The target is three shots at 50 yds of 50 grains of 3Fg Swiss black powder, the Knight black sabot with a .452 Acme RNFP 250 gr bullet, barrel cleaned between shots, 2MOA Holosun 407C-X@ GR sight, off a rest.
Next is working up a hunting load for the Knight Hornady Jacketed 50 cal 240 gr (XTP) bullet/sabot for the farm where I hunt. Avg range is less than 125 yds, a HUGE deer is only 170 lbs, and that bullet is designed to expand in the 900-1750fps velocity range, so a load that'll reliably kill deer that size, at that range, might work out pretty close to 80-90 grs. I do want to switch to a BP substitute for convenience at cleanup, maybe American Pioneer Powder, which I happen to have on hand. I'll move future posts to the correct forum.

Attachments

• Knight USAK 1st Test Tgt 07122023.jpg
    Knight USAK 1st Test Tgt 07122023.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm a retired guy with time on his hands exploring a new interest.
I'm a long-time flintlock and percussion muzzleloader shooter. I also shoot modern smokeless centerfire and rimfire rifles, and want to add modern black powder rifles. I'm starting to learn about them by rebuilding a badly abused American Knight, which is going well, so far.
I'm going to have fun with this and expect to learn a lot from the experts here. It's good to be here.
Hey Bruce welcome I'm from Maryland small world you'll have a great time here

Latest posts

Back