New to muzzleloaders and need some help.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RKDad

Reaction score
I recently came across an older Thomson Center .50 Cal. and in the pics I got I thought it was a newer version. Turned out to be quite older than I expected. I do not know anything about this type of firearm and any help would be greatly appreciated. First off does anyone know anything about it? (see Pic) Anything I should be cautious of before buying? Rusty barrel, firing mechanism, that sort of thing. Secondly, if so how does it operate? I know how to load and all safety aspects of it I just can't seem to find any info on it. I'm an avid hunter of 40+ years and very well versed in firearms. I know there is a lot more care to be taken with these type guns so this is why I'm asking. Not the best pics as I don't have the gun in person.

Thanks,
Rory

Attachments

• image000000(2).jpg
    image000000(2).jpg
    174 KB · Views: 1
  • image000001.jpg
    image000001.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 1
It looks like a TC Omega which are really great rifles ,typically very accurate ,it does look like there's a lot of surface rust around it to me, just a glance at your second picture it does look like it has been ignored and not taken care of,, however that just might be surface rust from setting in a closet it would be great if you could find a way to take the breech plug out and look at the internal bore of the barrel,, if I were you and I could not do that and was still interested in the gun in the condition that it looks like it's in the picture I wouldn't give over $150 to $200 for it, if the barrel is bad there are a lot of Omega barrels floating around still for sale it's easy to replace the barrel on this rifle. I bought an Omega last year it was so rusted up internally you could not even see the rifling in the,,the action too was almost ruined I cleaned it all up as best as possible and it still shot 2 in at 100 yards just a testament to the original accuracy potential these rifles held.

If you didn't buy it yet, I'd be a little cautious just because of the rust I can see in the picture.
The barrel could be way worse.
But that's not to say that it couldn't be brought back to serviceable condition. I've bought a few guns that were less than perfect. Cleaned them up and they shoot pretty decent for me.
All muzzleloaders are basically the same in operating systems, so to speak. Powder down the barrel followed by a projectile, #11 cap or 209 primer on the other end. You can think of the barrel as a shell casing that your using to make your own custom reload.
I believe that the cleaning and maintenance are the aspects that of muzzleloading that need the most attention to detail.

If you didn't buy it yet, I'd be a little cautious just because of the rust I can see in the picture.
The barrel could be way worse.

The rust on the rifles exterior is a clue to the condition of the bore. Check the bore carefully, if the bore is moderately to severely rusted give it a pass.

Cleaned up dozens of neglected guns for hunters. Yeah, after much labor one can sometimes get acceptable groups but the bore will always be pitted, the pits will collect powder residue and lead from conical bullets.

Mtn Monkey is right on the money. That is a TC Omega - great rifle, I currently have four.

The Omega line was introduced in 2002 and discontinued in about 2013. The standard line of Omegas featured a 28” barrel and weighed about 7 lbs.

I would’t give more than $150-200 for it not knowing what shape the bore is in. I agree there is a good chance, though, that the light rust pictured may be surface rust and the bore is fine. A rifle like that with a clean bore would sell on Gunbroker for $225-$325, I suspect. If you’re looking for a reasonably priced inline muzzleloader to shoot saboted bullets, IMO you can’t do any better than an Omega. Tough to tell what that scope is but it appears to be junk so you’re really just buying the rifle.

Thanks a bunch everyone. I had a feeling this was the place to ask. Ok the back ground I got on it is that the uncle passed away and this along with a few other firearm related items have just been sitting in storage for awhile. I did have a chance to go see it since I posted and believe or not thats not rust on the gun, it's just dusty. 👍 what a relief, but there are little patches here and there in the barrel. Going to look with a bore scope today. Forgot it when I was in a crazy rush to secure the deal as it seemed to good to be true. Only paid $50, I offered family more but they said the Uncle was the type guy that would've probably given it all away if he'd had time before he passed. Why couldn't more people be like that instead of all the greed in the world today. Anyway gun is being background checked through local dealer to be sure it was their Uncles gun. Now that I know the model I'll see what I can find on operating and cleaning it up. Glad I never threw away those big bore brushes you always got in those cleaning kits back in the day. I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions once I have it in hand.
Thanks everyone,
Rory

Thanks a bunch everyone. I had a feeling this was the place to ask. Ok the back ground I got on it is that the uncle passed away and this along with a few other firearm related items have just been sitting in storage for awhile. I did have a chance to go see it since I posted and believe or not thats not rust on the gun, it's just dusty. 👍 what a relief, but there are little patches here and there in the barrel. Going to look with a bore scope today. Forgot it when I was in a crazy rush to secure the deal as it seemed to good to be true. Only paid $50, I offered family more but they said the Uncle was the type guy that would've probably given it all away if he'd had time before he passed. Why couldn't more people be like that instead of all the greed in the world today. Anyway gun is being background checked through local dealer to be sure it was their Uncles gun. Now that I know the model I'll see what I can find on operating and cleaning it up. Glad I never threw away those big bore brushes you always got in those cleaning kits back in the day. I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions once I have it in hand.
Thanks everyone,
Rory
Enjoy your Omega, I got my 4th this yr.

Well I got the gun and I have to say I am surprised. It is in great shape considering it wasn't cleaned before it was stored. Slightest bit of surface rust in the barrel and on the trigger and that's it. I think a few more passes with a brush and it will look almost like new. I just used hot soapy water for the initial cleaning. I think the scope is a bonus, it's an old Weaver Marksman. Used this same scope on my 308 growing up and loved it.
Got to locate a jag for it and grab some ammo go test it out. Can't wait, always wanted to try one but was kinda scared to be honest.
What's a good target round for sighting? I'm cheap so the expensive stuff is out but I do know there is a lot of good cheap ammo out there. I do alot of range testing with all my rifles and load my rounds accordingly. Hence the cheaper ammo. 👍

Thanks
Rory

Attachments

• 20220731_185234.jpg
    20220731_185234.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220731_185117.jpg
    20220731_185117.jpg
    867.7 KB · Views: 0
Its always great to find an Omega with a nice bore! Good score. I bet you can find some 250 or 300 Hornady SSTs on a local shelf. If you can get some triple 7 try 100grains +/-. Right now you may only find Pyrodex, which is ok but CLEAN the WHOLE GUN THOROUGHLY after each session.

Latest posts

Back