NMLRA In-line Hunter match results

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
Here are the results from day 2 of the NMLRA In-line matches, same format as last year. This is the 5th year of the match and the weather was better than Friday's M5 match, but the wind was more prominent - probably 10-25 and a few burst of maybe more.
22 shooters in all shot and I would venture to say that the Friday's weather and weekend forecast prevented some shooters from attending.

Kenny Yoder turned in the top score at 50, with a 50-5x.
Mark Miller and Barry Brakebill each posted 50-4x at 100. Nearly 1/3 of the shooters posted a 50!
Mark Miller and Jeff Fisk each posted 50--3x at 200.
We had some targets blow off the frame at 200, so extra time/relay was allowed for those who's target blew off.
After the Paper portion of the match, Doug Swatrz and Kenny Yoder let the group with 150-8x and 150-9x respectively.

30 minutes for lunch, then we paired up for the silhouettes. We rotate shooter/spotter at a bank of animals at either chickens or pigs.
Jeff Fisk was the only shooter to clean all 10 animals - I think this is the 1st time this has happened and an indicator of the windy conditions, it was quartering from 10 o'clock and not only windage was needed, but also elevation changed with the head wind changes - it got many of us..

View of shooters on the silhouette line.

Attachments

• 2017 IH rt.JPG
    2017 IH rt.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 225
  • 2017 IH lt.JPG
    2017 IH lt.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 225
In the end, Doug Swatrz won the Custom Class and his 2nd wind in as many days with a score of 168-8x shooting the new Knight 500.
2nd place Jeff Fisk with a 168-7x with his rifle.
3rd place Jason Day with a 166-4x one I built for him.
L-to-R: Doug, Jeff & Jason

In the Hunter class:
1st place to Mark Miller with a 163-10x (Mark received the 'X' award)
2nd place to Kenny Yoder with a 162-9x
3rd place to Rick Weber with a 162-6x
Note that all 3 were shooting the same rifle.
L-to-R: Mark, Kenny, Rick

I have to comment that I have never seen scores so close for an entire weekend (3 matches).
Top 3 in the M5 were only separated by 2 points
Top 3 in IH Custom were separated by 2 points
Top 3 in IH Hunter were separated by 1 point.

Attachments

• 2017 IH Custom class.JPG
    2017 IH Custom class.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 223
  • 2017 IH Hunter Class.JPG
    2017 IH Hunter Class.JPG
    74 KB · Views: 223
Here is the IH group photo, but unfortunately after the awards were given out, some of the competitors had already departed.

Attachments

• 2017 IH group.JPG
    2017 IH group.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 223
Here is a photo of Jim F. and the range (without the rain).

Mingo shooting his Flintlock (45 cal 1:18 twist)

An interesting fact I learned was when discussing the wind conditions with Jeff, Mark. At 300M they both experienced 9 moa of windage, whereas Jason and I were at 3 moa. Good discussion occurred along with Doug as to what is occurring - I mentioned that our loads are two different extremes and is there somewhere in-between that might have potential? - lots of learning for all of us.

Thanks to all the participated and those that support the NMLRA. I can't emphasis enough how much can be learned at these matches..

Attachments

• 2017 IH Flint.JPG
    2017 IH Flint.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 223
  • 2017 IH Jim F.JPG
    2017 IH Jim F.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 223
  • 2017 IH results copy.jpg
    2017 IH results copy.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 88
I really appreciate you posting this 52Bore and continuing to be a part of these matches! In order for muzzleloaders to continue to hold it's own in the hunting world we desperately need events like this. Kudos on your involvement and for sharing!!!

Very cool!!

And what rifle was that? ....Mountaineer 45 1-20?
In the Hunter class:

GM54-120 said:
Very cool!!

In the Hunter class:
Yep 1:20 mountaineers

1874sharpsshooter said:
GM54-120 said:
Very cool!!

In the Hunter class:
Yep 1:20 mountaineers

I know, i just like hearing it. :D

Thanks Rick for all of your posting . Bring some of those heavy lead paper patched bullets in June . I'll give them a go . I just have no idea how to go that route . Im open to try anything.I still can't believe how well the heavy lead preformed out at 400 and 500 yards . Expecially with the conditions we had . Thank you again for everything your doing for this sport .

Latest posts

Back