NMLRA M5 Match - incredible

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52Bore

Reaction score
To start, Friday was the worst weather I've ever shot in. Cold, rain and wind - everything was wet by the end of the day!
12 shooters braced the weather, why do we do the things we do?

As for the match, it was GREAT, just as designed to test the shooter, rifle and load. We all learned some things...which is good.
5 shots for score at each distance 100-500 yards with no sighters...

I think the worst weather was when we were shooting 200 & 300. I had to stop to clean off my glasses as the rain was blowing in so bad. Took a photo as nearly everyone/everything was wet.

Attachments

• 17 M5 range 1.JPG
    17 M5 range 1.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 300
  • 17 M5 range 2.JPG
    17 M5 range 2.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 300
  • 17 M5 wet rifle.jpg
    17 M5 wet rifle.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 300
To start off at 100, Bob Wetzler (match director) was shooting a 650gr conical out of a of Knight 50 1:24.

At 200 (same target as 100), Doug Swartz posted the top score, but this was also the worst time and there were cross fires, etc.. (even some who put in the wrong setting? ha).
Here is Doug in his rain gear...

At 300, we used the 200 yard red bull. I got a little lucky as Jason Days 4 shots were much better than mine, but he again shot the wrong target...
Here is my target. (If Doug or Bob have a photo of their 100 & 200 targets maybe they can post)

Attachments

• 17 M5 Bob.JPG
    17 M5 Bob.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 297
  • 17 M5 Doug.JPG
    17 M5 Doug.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 17 M5 300.JPG
    17 M5 300.JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 297
The rain seemed to yield as the afternoon went along, but the wind didn't. I would say it blew 5-20mph all day.
400, I seemed to just get lucky as although my first shot hit high, the other 4 fell into the black.

If you're wondering how we score, we actually turned the targets over and placed a shoot-n-see. This has been done by the slug gun LR matches for years, the reason is - you can see the bullet holes otherwise they get lost in the numbers, lines, etc.

At 500, Jason Day came back to life and posted the top score.

Attachments

• 17 M5 400 hits.jpg
    17 M5 400 hits.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 295
  • 17 M5 400 score.JPG
    17 M5 400 score.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 295
In the end, like with any match -it's consistency that pays off. We all talked (Saturday) about our missed opportunities - that just made us want to shoot it again..
Congrats to Doug, but it was very close..

1st was Doug Swartz (center)
2nd Jeff Fisk (right)
3rd Rick Weber (left)

The entire group deserves credit.
L-to-R: Kenny, Mark, Rick, Barry, Doug, Tim, Jeff, Bob, Jason, Mike (Scott & Greg not pictured)

I have to say, the match was open to BPCR, but we jokingly stated - they must not have wanted to get their powder wet.

The final score sheet.

double click on the photo to see it larger.

Guaranteed, we'll all be back to shoot this one..

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 279
  • 2017 M5 results copy.jpg
    2017 M5 results copy.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 75
I'll post the missing group photo when I figure out how to prevent it from posting upside down...

Great shooting guys. Terrible conditions for sure. Dedicated to the sport!

I learned to things this weekend . You won't find a nicer guy than Rick Webber (52 bore) and that paper patched heavy lead and Swiss works . It works very well . I'm glad I dont have any pictures of my 400 and 500 yards targets . Rick killed me at those ranges . Bad ! Very impressive shooting Rick .

Cold and wet is REALLY hard for me even in a fancy tree "house" blind.

Way to go when it got rough guys!!!

GM54-120 said:
Cold and wet is REALLY hard for me even in a fancy tree "house" blind.
Way to go when it got rough guys!!!

We questioned many times just prior to starting and and during the match - what are we doing out here! Memories with friends, I guess.

Dougs136Schwartz said:
I learned to things this weekend . You won't find a nicer guy than Rick Webber (52 bore) and that paper patched heavy lead and Swiss works . It works very well . I'm glad I dont have any pictures of my 400 and 500 yards targets . Rick killed me at those ranges . Bad ! Very impressive shooting Rick .
Thanks Doug. Scott called me this evening and we talked for 45 minutes - we need more people like you and him. My draw from TN has been the good people there who love ML.
My load is 1850s stuff. Had some issues starting out, then shot well - so all in all a good day regardless.
I don't think one person had any ignition/powder issues with the weather over the 3+ hours of shooting.
See you in June..

Latest posts

Back