No Ignition in my Knight

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolpoolken

Reaction score
Hi Guys..... I recently purchased a new domed breech plug for my Knight Disc Extreme. Took it out to the range today,and it would not ignite my 100gr. charge of 777.I tried 3 209 primers. They all snapped good but my powder wouldn't go off. I went home, and checked the flash hole. On the original breech plug the hole is about .032" dia., on the new breeh plug ,I can see light thru it ,no problem, but my .032" wire wont go thru it. Does any one have one of the domed breech plugs and a way to measure the flash hole? Any Ideas? Need Help!!!............Ken

What primer was what brand?

The nipple end is the same size, the exit is .025" or so.

Did you try the same batch of 777 with the standard breechplug?

Hi Ken!

Bummer! Did you snap any primers before you loaded the powder/bullet?

Just curious..

JJ

Doohan said:
Hi Ken!

Bummer! Did you snap any primers before you loaded the powder/bullet?

Just curious..

JJ

Great idea, JJ. SOMETIMES...if I don't snap a cap FIRST, it absolutely will not go off no matter how many caps I try. Same if you use solvent to clean between shots and fail to snap a couple of caps first. Once that flash channel gets damp/wet powder on it, it just won't go off.

Randy..Primers were Winchester 209's. That can of powder worked good 2 weeks ago with the orginal breech plug, and I'm back out to the range today to fire it wilth the original breeh plug.
Doohan...I never snapped a primer before loading.I flushed it with Birchwood Casey degreaser and could see light thru it before installing it and and I pulled it after it would not fire, you could still see light thru the hole .. Will try it again at the range after I fire it with the orginal breech plug to chkeck the powder.
Will post when I get back this evening. That was the first time I ever had a missfire on my Extreme and its really bugging me!! Thanks Guys.....Ken

Its raining too hard to go to the range, so I loaded up 100gr 777 2f out of the same can and used the orginal breech plug. Went out of town and discharged it into the ditch on a back road.Worked perfect!!!Powders good! Will have to wait till next weekend to try the new plug.Meanwhile, I'm going to take it to work and check the hole dia. with our 60 to 80 wire drill set.Thanks for the help guys, will post here when I find out more. Again, thanks.........Ken

Hi guys..I took both breech plugs to work today and did some measuring. The hole dia.on the nipple end of the original is .125" and about .930" deep into the plug, with a flash hole of.035". The domed plug has a nipple hole of .081" dia. and only goes in .230"., with a flash hole of .028" It sure is a lot smaller measurements.I think I will phone Knight and see if they can give me some specs on the new plug.I think it might not have been finished drilling for some reason.Does anyone have one that you could check as a comparison. Any help greatly appreciated.....Ken

coolpoolken said:
Does anyone have one that you could check as a comparison.

Coolpoolken

I have one of the domed Knight breech plugs. I ordered it and used it in my Disc Elite .50 the first two times at the range with the gun, and yes, I'm a sucker for gadgets! I haven't used the original plug YET. I couldn't get decent groups to save my life no matter what I shot in it and I tried several loads that have been proven by others in this gun. SO, I have switched back to the original plug for the next trip to the range. Also, I think I may have been cleaning the bore too thoroughly between shots, so I'm going to alter my between shot swabbing routine for this gun also. The domed plug didn't allow hardly any blowback and for that it gets a big plus BUT the jury is still out for me anyway to see if the new plug had anything to do with the poor groups.

To answer your question, my domed plug's nipple hole only goes in about .230" also, so I guess that must be the way they were designed. Also, the nipple on the domed plug is .005" more in diameter than the original plug, I suppose for a tighter fit on the full plastic jacket. The base of the nipple on the domed plug also flares out some at the base whereas the original plug's nipple is straight all the way down to it's base. I was shooting anywhere from 105-125 grs. Triple Se7en ffg ignited by a standard CCI 209 primer and I never had any ignition problems though. SO, you do have a mysterious problem that's for sure. Hope you get it figured out soon!

Latest posts

Back