Not new but would like clarification.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnappi

Reaction score
I've had only one type of BP revolver over the years that being a Ruger Old Army with a top strap. Nowadays I'm looking at some open top strap types like the 1841, 1847, 1851, 1860 etc. as well as Closed top strap like an 1858.

Is there a genealogical progression in desirable features in the open top strap models?

Are there any inherent drawbacks / advantages to pick one over another for these types?

The top strap guns - 1858 and Ruger OA - will have better sights (not needing a notch on the hammer for that function) and there are even target/adjustable sight models made (or have been rather)

I have an Uberti made 1858 clone. Think if I were gonna turn the wanter to "new bp revolver" mode, I'd end up looking for one of the .36 caliber 1858 clones.

I've had only one type of BP revolver over the years that being a Ruger Old Army with a top strap. Nowadays I'm looking at some open top strap types like the 1841, 1847, 1851, 1860 etc. as well as Closed top strap like an 1858.

Is there a genealogical progression in desirable features in the open top strap models?

Are there any inherent drawbacks / advantages to pick one over another for these types?
I don't know about any of the other BP revolvers, but I do know that the ROA is the Cats A$$ in BP revolvers. Just stick with another one of them.

Back