Oil consumption

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2020 ford f150 with a 5.0 liter coyote engine that uses a lot of oil. Took it to the dealer in early November and they supposedly fixed it. But NOT. They've had it going on four days since Monday. Beginning to believe they can't fix it. I do know there's a class action lawsuit over this issue. I am wondering if any other forum members have run into this problem. What was your experience with the dealership that you went to? I can't believe that oil always going into the combustion chamber can be any good for the engine. I hope someone will respond. Very frustrating. I'd be pulling my hair out if I had any.

For what it’s worth some of the 5.0 motors have this issue. I had the issue on my 18. For roughly the first 25,000 miles it be a quart low at 3,000 miles. I’ve always changed oil at 3,000 on everything I’ve ever owned. Originally the dealer said they would put it on oil consumption watch. Long story short I just run the crap out of it and added an oil catch can. Now I’m seeing about 1/2 quart low at 3,000. I have a 2005 F150 with the 5.4 that I took to my camp as a beater in the mountains. 320,000 miles motor has never been opened, no leaks and no oil usage, did have trans replaced at 179,000 but I tow a lot.
Dealers aren’t much help on any issues.

As a mechanic I can only wish i could afford a truck made in the last 15(20) years. Take that truck to a Toyota dealer and trade up to a nice Tacoma.

To OP- my work truck is a 2021 F150w/5.0 liter. No problems, so far! 🤞

The 2002 Tundra that I bought in 2001 is still going strong, though I don’t have a ton of miles (150K) on it. MN road salt is likely to be its demise… 🤬

When that time comes… I suspect I’ll be headed back to the Toyota dealer for another. 👍

For what it’s worth some of the 5.0 motors have this issue. I had the issue on my 18. For roughly the first 25,000 miles it be a quart low at 3,000 miles. I’ve always changed oil at 3,000 on everything I’ve ever owned. Originally the dealer said they would put it on oil consumption watch. Long story short I just run the crap out of it and added an oil catch can. Now I’m seeing about 1/2 quart low at 3,000. I have a 2005 F150 with the 5.4 that I took to my camp as a beater in the mountains. 320,000 miles motor has never been opened, no leaks and no oil usage, did have trans replaced at 179,000 but I tow a lot.
Dealers aren’t much help on any issues.
In fact I have a catch can to put on the engine. At least I can keep it from getting worse. Wondering though if I could put the oil that it catches right back into the engine.

As a former dealer tech for almost 20yrs. I can say that oil consumption is becoming a big problem for many makes and models. New tech and ways of controlling emissions along with super thin oil to combat epa numbers are mainly to blame. And if you look on the owners manual you will see that a quart of oil every 1,000 miles is considered normal operation. Best of luck with your troubles buddy.

Update. The problem with the oil situation isn't what I thought it was. Apparently the piston rings have insufficient tension causing the oil to get past them. The mechanic said the cylinder walls are all scored up with oil sitting on top of the pistons. The dealership is going to request that Ford replace the engine. There is also a technical service bulletin on the transmission so they're going to request a new tranny also. I will find out on Monday. I will be made happy if Ford steps up to the plate.

Update. The problem with the oil situation isn't what I thought it was. Apparently the piston rings have insufficient tension causing the oil to get past them. The mechanic said the cylinder walls are all scored up with oil sitting on top of the pistons. The dealership is going to request that Ford replace the engine. There is also a technical service bulletin on the transmission so they're going to request a new tranny also. I will find out on Monday. I will be made happy if Ford steps up to the plate.

Wow that's awesome. Fingers 🤞 crossed for ya.

I used to drive nothing but Fords. For the past 35 or so years I've had noting but MOPAR vehicles. I had 3 Dakotas all over 100,000 miles. Just this past spring I gave my last Dakota to my grandson and it had 143,000. I have a 1998 Chrysler Sebring with 173,000, a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 184,000 and a 2017 Journey that just turned 140,000. Last March I picked up a 2021 Ram Bighorn with just about every option you can put on one and I have 22,000 on that.

I used to drive nothing but Fords. For the past 35 or so years I've had noting but MOPAR vehicles. I had 3 Dakotas all over 100,000 miles. Just this past spring I gave my last Dakota to my grandson and it had 143,000. I have a 1998 Chrysler Sebring with 173,000, a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 184,000 and a 2017 Journey that just turned 140,000. Last March I picked up a 2021 Ram Bighorn with just about every option you can put on one and I have 22,000 on that.
My son in law is an auto mechanic and he swears by the Dodge Ram. He said that power wise it will bury either a Ford or Chevy.

Maybe so but to obtain all that power consumes a lot of fuel. Let me ask, does he work for a Dodge dealer or an independent?

Well being 70+ years old I don't need all that power from a hemi motor. My Ram has a simple 3.6 liter that get 23 mpg hwy and 19 city. Same engine as my 2017 Journey. Actually because the Ram is so much bigger up front and rides like a dream I find it getting away on me. I'll be going 80 mph before I know it. I almost always have to set the cruise control.

Well I think I can add to this , I Am a Diesel Mechanic since 1967 , and the oil consumption that you're talking about is probably due to premature wear in the valve guides. Could also be a problem with worn piston rings. Does it show any signs of smoking? Cause that is a good sign of it. My experiences with these problems have been quite a few in my time in the shop of 55yrs. what caused a lot of these problems was oil brake down from being too low of viscosity. I own a Toyota Tacoma TRD off road & have had a few previous. The manufacture says to use 0W20 synthetic, but with this oil viscosity, which is as thin as your pee, felt like my engine was dragging, so i changed to 5W20. What a difference in performance! and my fuel consumption increased 2.5 miles per gallon and runs like a champ. Why the manufacture tells you to use a specific viscosity is that is for a range of all temperatures your vehicle would run in, but what about real hot temps in different states where there is no cold temps. or states where temps are extremely cold? Temperature has a lot to do with oil break down in high temps. where you would need a higher viscosity oil like 5W30 or in colder weather where you can get by using 0W20. And because of this causes you engine to wear prematurely. The multi viscosity oils to explain their duty is the first number of 0W20 is the viscosity weight, which the manufacture says has the duty of the second number. So to read the oil number is 0Weight20. If you look in the owners manual of your vehicle, in the oil section it will usually give you a scale of different oil viscosity for different temps. Plus in ending, I myself drive Toyotas, because of their reliably. Its sorry to say that the quality of vehicles in our country went to crap, in my opinion. So, guys make sure and use good brand oils and change your vehicles oil on regular intervals.

I’ve always heard of or have been told that the newer 5.0 engines have sleeved cylinders. Which in turn is making the rings harder to seat for some reason. Who knows I’m certainly sure just about all vehicles are built with cheaper made parts and higher sticker prices..
How do you think they make money. If they made it to last like in the earlier years they wouldn't make the money they what. like everything its all about the money !

Latest posts

Back