Old Tradition's Woodsman Hawkins and roundballs

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cayuga

In Remembrance
Reaction score
The other day I was at Wal Mart and they finally had their Pyrodex RS down in price so needless to say I stocked up. I also have a friend who went back there and got me an additional 10 pounds (I hope).

I have one rifle in particular that is a Tradition's Woodsman Hawkin. This was one of the first Woodsman that came out when they had a 1-66 twist roundball barrel. I bought it of course and it has been a very accurate roundball shooter. This rifle absolutely thrives on Pyrodex RS for some reason.

It normally shoots anything from 85-100 grains of Pyrodex RS in a good tight group. So I took a pound of Pyrodex and decided to have a little fun. I have also had a terrible time this winter with pine squirrels getting into building and tearing up everything they find. So I have been on the look out for them.

Well the rifle was benched at 30 yards and I shot this group without ever swabbing the barrel. I was shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex RS a moose milk pillow tick patch and home casted .490 roundball. Very accurate little rifle.

These two tree rats were foolish enough to come out in my woods and never saw me sitting at the bench rest. So they were no more then 40 yards out, and with me sitting, resting off my elbow, the little rifle proved again that you will not blow up squirrels with a .50 caliber Hawkins. Field dress them with a round ball, yes. Blow them up No!

18d72174.jpg

I havn't shot my Hawken since last year. I will have to get it out soon.

Walmart in my area hasn't started clearancing BP stuff yet. The season has been over since 12/18 and the powder is still at 13.00. I'm hoping the manager is getting tired of seeing me everyday and will lower the price soon.

two with one shot? :D

after reading an article in blackpowder hunting a couple of years back about this dude that hunts squirrels with a custom .54 caliber flintlock, ive thought maybe i should give it a shot with my .54 renegade. not sure if i can guarantee head shots, however . . . :D

my plinking load with the .54 renegade is 40 grains t7, speer roundball, and .015 t/c prelubed patched. i've hit a couple of turtles with that load, it's good medicine. :) ive also hit some water filled beer cans with it (beer not drank while i was shooting, of course :wink: ) results are spectacular at approx. 25 yds.

I load down a .54 Renegade from time to time and you're right.. they are impressive. I really get a kick out of shooting water filled cans. I guess I like the way they explode.

I managed two more tree rats later that afternoon. I had not cleaned the rifle yet, and was just about to when I looked out the back patio door and could see three of them in the woods running around. So I swabbed the barrel out real good and loaded it back up.

The first one was on a stump so I took and cleaned the stump off real easy since he was only about 30 yards out. Then the other two ran up trees, so I turned the dog loose to keep them up there while I reloaded.

The second on made the mistake of sitting on a branch with the tree behind him, facing me. He was about ten feet off the ground and only 20 yards or so out, watching the dog. I got a good rest on the rail of the porch and took him square in the face. I also learned the rifle is much louder when shooting off a porch... :roll:

Now they have my number. I hit the door handle and they disappear.

congrats on those tree rats. i have a swarm of them in my back yard. many, many times have i thought about taking a pot shot. but unfortunately i live in the middle of jxn., mississippi. the neighbors would disapprove.

in fact, the last time i went muzzleloader deer hunting, i saw 4 or 5 red squirrels around the stand i was in (no deer, of course). i seriously (gravely serious) thought about changing the deer hunt into a squirrel hunt, if you know what i mean. of course i didnt, because i figured the shot would scare off any deer in the area. of course there weren't any deer in the area and i sat there until dark and never saw one. :d'oh!:

i too have noticed the "loud porch phenomenon." at hunting camp, i have fired a rifle underneath a porch, and standing right outside of the porch. it makes a huge difference.

Back