OP Wad with Hornady Great Plains bullet?

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shouldn't need to. That hollow base is designed to expand to engage the rifling.
For flat base bullets, a over powder wad is recommended to protect the bullet base.

Good morning folks.
I will just throw in my .02USD.

I own an original Rem Model 50csl 700 ML not the ultimate.

After upgrading the bolt/breech plug system to the phenomenal one from Badger Ridge, i switched the Tupperware plastic stock to hardwood laminate stock from Boyd's then finally removed the stock trigger and replaced it with a 2.5lb Elite Hunter from Timney.

I tried 2 different sabots including the original black MMP which was paired with a Hornady .45cal .452 diameter bullet. All testing was done with 85gV of Black Horn 209 powder.

Try as I may I couldn't get my.groups any better than 2inches. Went from 80 to 100grV to test and see.

I remembered the many deer I killed previously with the TC maxi ball and Hornady Great Plains .385gr bullet. So, I got off work dropped in 85grV of BH 209 powder, added an OxYoke 50cal wool button and seated a .385 Great Plains bullet.

At 50yds I had all 3 shots in a inch square. Years ago I called a guy at Remington who told me to use one of their "wonder wads" under a conical to achieve the best accuracy. I even loaded up 3 Rem Gamemaster conical bullets I bought at a garage sale years ago. Guess what? Same result. Targets don't lie and I'm going to stick with the wool wad over powder when shooting conical.

Have a great day!
Shadowfox64

Good tip, thanks for sharing.
I've done similar with one of my round ball guns.
A dry patch over the powder ahead of the patched ball.
Greatly improved accuracy for me.

Latest posts

Back