Opening day in Oklahoma

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was able to get out yesterday morning for opening day here.
I never had a chance to do any preseason scouting but the state land spot I've hunted the last two years have been productive.
I arrived at my spot just about daylight. As soon as I stepped out of my truck I was greeted by 3 gobblers just off in the woods not too far away.
It seemed like an eternity to get my boots on and collect my other stuff and get moving. Naturally, the birds were quiet by the time I got into the woods.
I made my way down to the little creek that I like to setup near and waited. I made just a few light calls just to let the boys know that a beautiful babe is in the neighborhood, Lol
Less than an hour went by and I spotted movement down through the woods.
3 birds were approaching. I couldn't tell what they were until they got closer and then I could see they were all jakes.
I don't know what they thought I was but they had to investigate.
They walked right up to within about 10 feet of me, stopped and just stared for the longest time. It was so funny I thought. Guess they never seen a human before.
They finally moved off and an hour or so later, 2 other jakes came in, spotted me at about 30 yards, let off some putts and took off.
No mature Toms yesterday but they must be around somewhere. I has a good morning, hunted till about 11.
Hope to get back out later in the week if the weather cooperates. We have rain in the forecast for most of the week. Just off and on showers.

I was able to get out yesterday morning for opening day here.
I never had a chance to do any preseason scouting but the state land spot I've hunted the last two years have been productive.
I arrived at my spot just about daylight. As soon as I stepped out of my truck I was greeted by 3 gobblers just off in the woods not too far away.
It seemed like an eternity to get my boots on and collect my other stuff and get moving. Naturally, the birds were quiet by the time I got into the woods.
I made my way down to the little creek that I like to setup near and waited. I made just a few light calls just to let the boys know that a beautiful babe is in the neighborhood, Lol
Less than an hour went by and I spotted movement down through the woods.
3 birds were approaching. I couldn't tell what they were until they got closer and then I could see they were all jakes.
I don't know what they thought I was but they had to investigate.
They walked right up to within about 10 feet of me, stopped and just stared for the longest time. It was so funny I thought. Guess they never seen a human before.
They finally moved off and an hour or so later, 2 other jakes came in, spotted me at about 30 yards, let off some putts and took off.
No mature Toms yesterday but they must be around somewhere. I has a good morning, hunted till about 11.
Hope to get back out later in the week if the weather cooperates. We have rain in the forecast for most of the week. Just off and on showers.
Sounds like a really nice day of turkey hunting to me brother. I'm glad ya made it out for the experience. Good luck on gettin a biggun

Back