Gettin ready for opening day.

Modern Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Modern Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double checked, what I have is a 2x6's and not 2x4. But do have plain 4's. Gomna have to try them
I've pretty much have always used #4 shot for turkey. I have used #5, which I think is good, especially in a 20 gauge, imo. I guess I just always figured that bigger pellets, harder hit? No real answer, just always used 4's.

I’ve been trying 6, 7.5, and 8 shot in my handloads, and I think any of the 3 will kill a turkey within my self imposed shot distance limit. There’s a pretty significant difference in pellet counts between the three.
With a 1 1/4 oz load…
#6-281
#7.5-437 36% more than #6
#8-512 14% more than #7.5 and 45% more than #6
There’s a very noticeable difference in pattern densities.
Did y’all catch Retriever’s key point, “self imposed shot distance limit”?

Did y’all catch Retriever’s key point, “self imposed shot distance limit”?
I’ve killed a few turkeys over the years, but I’m just now really getting into turkey hunting. I got on a FB turkey hunting page thinking I could learn some things, but I discovered real quick that the main topic of conversation was TSS ammo and arguments over how far they can kill birds. When I used to watch hunting shows growing up, all the guys called birds in real close for the shot, but the guys on FB were talking about taking 50-80 yard shots with the TSS. That being said, I mainly deer hunt with a crossbow now and limit my shots to 35 yards, so I decided if I can’t get a turkey inside 30-35 yards he’ll live another day. In my opinion, that’s hunting and not just sniping.

I’ve killed a few turkeys over the years, but I’m just now really getting into turkey hunting. I got on a FB turkey hunting page thinking I could learn some things, but I discovered real quick that the main topic of conversation was TSS ammo and arguments over how far they can kill birds. When I used to watch hunting shows growing up, all the guys called birds in real close for the shot, but the guys on FB were talking about taking 50-80 yard shots with the TSS. That being said, I mainly deer hunt with a crossbow now and limit my shots to 35 yards, so I decided if I can’t get a turkey inside 30-35 yards he’ll live another day. In my opinion, that’s hunting and not just sniping.
TSS change things ( probably for the worst) 60 to 70 yards are realistic ranges for 12 gauge shooters now. Unfortunately not everyone has the skill and familiar enough with their gun to take that shot.
Also it takes away the whole reason to be calling the bird in, that's the best part of the hunt when you fool the bird.

Soooo you’re saying it’s “ sniping “ shooting a turkey with a shotgun with a TSS load at 70yds, what would you call shooting a deer at 300yds with a rifle? Is that “ sniping “ too, or hunting?
I’ve watched YouTube videos with ppl using 410’s, 28ga 20ga & 12ga taking turkey out past 70yds with TSS loads. That’s AWESOME!!!
The evolution of guns & ammo/shot, has given us the capability to extend out effective hunting ranges across the board & that’s a wonderful thing.
I’ve taken many turkey from inside 5yds to 35yds with a shotgun. I’ve also taken 3 with my muzzleloader rifles in both .40 sidelock & my .45 Accura at 100-120yds too. Just as cool to be able to do that.

Soooo you’re saying it’s “ sniping “ shooting a turkey with a shotgun with a TSS load at 70yds, what would you call shooting a deer at 300yds with a rifle? Is that “ sniping “ too, or hunting?
I’ve watched YouTube videos with ppl using 410’s, 28ga 20ga & 12ga taking turkey out past 70yds with TSS loads. That’s AWESOME!!!
The evolution of guns & ammo/shot, has given us the capability to extend out effective hunting ranges across the board & that’s a wonderful thing.
I’ve taken many turkey from inside 5yds to 35yds with a shotgun. I’ve also taken 3 with my muzzleloader rifles in both .40 sidelock & my .45 Accura at 100-120yds too. Just as cool to be able to do that.
If 70 yards is your self imposed limit and you are 95+% sure of a clean kill then have at it. And I’ve never shot a TSS shell

Chocolate vs. Vanilla

If 70 yards is your self imposed limit and you are 95+% sure of a clean kill then have at it. And I’ve never shot a TSS shell

Chocolate vs. Vanilla
Right, to each his own for sure.
I do not & never have had a “ self imposed limit “. I’ve only had whatever the limitations, my gun & load are capable of. That in itself dictated my limits. Nothing else.
If my car or motorcycle had a 200mph speedo on it, I’d learn how to drive it at that speed.

I shot a Rio, my first year hunting here.
The Easterns that we have here are definitely tough to hunt, imo.
I hunt easterns 90% of the time, but love to chase Merriams and Rios.
All of them have been harder the last 2 years. I always thought Rios were hard to hunt, due to the open terrain they live in. It's hard to hide a fat boy in that sparse cover.

There's also a down side to a very tight choke that allows you to shoot birds at some pretty impressive distances. If the bird gets in close say 15-20 yards and your aim isn't exactly spot on it's quite easy to miss. Been there done that.
If a gobbler gets inside 15 yards of me he has a 90% chance of surviving.
As you said tight chokes have a downside and I've seen it. At that distance, you have to shoot like it's a rifle.

Latest posts

Back